John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #11  
Rat is right. I checked out the JD110 very close before getting the L48. Lots of good things about both. I just could not pass up the extra capacities the L48 had on paper, especially the BH reach. I have been happy with mine.

I added things as most of the members of this board have and tweeked the tractor a bit. All for my needs. Others would do other things.

They are priced about the same in my neck of the woods.

The L39 sounds like and looks like one great unit. Pound for pound I have not seen better specs. It has most the features a CUT owner will love. It is a glide shift but I owned an L35 GST and it is a nice unit that was not hard to get used to and use with the loader. It was much easier than any of the shuttle shifts i have used. It was also nice to have a throtle peddle.

Best of luck to you on your quest.

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #12  
Rat, yes I knew you had an L48, thanks for the reply. Can you change the backhoe buckets easily on the L39 and L48? I understand it is quite easy with the JD110. Also, can you reposition the TLB without getting out of the seat? Thanks.

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #13  
Rodney,

I do not know if the bucket on the BH of an L39 can be changed easily? I have only a 24inch one on my L48 and I like this size. I think you can get a quick change setup for the BH and it would do it for you. The quick change came as an option on the JD110 when I was looking. I like the 24 inch bucket after having an 18 inch on my L35. For my deeper trenching and water lines the 24 is better. Also faster for moving dirt.

I have a long reach which helps in moving the L48 from the BH seating possition. I move it all the time from the BH seating. No issues at all. Just reach back and down with your left hand and go forward or back as needed.

I do like steping through beside the seat on the L48 rather than over it like on th JD110. I believe it is safer than steping over the seat. I once slipped on a mucky foot hold on my L39 and got hurt which propted me to look at the L48. I am glad I did. I did not like climbing up and down so the climbing on the JD was an issue.

I would like the slopped hood on the JD and it was smooth but so is the L48.

In all, you have a big choice to make. Good luck.

Rat got more hours on his L48 so he will have more to offer and may not have had the same issues as I.

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #14  
Gray, I read somewhere that the L39 has the sloped hood like the 110. I have an interest in this size TLB because it can be pulled with a 3/4 ton 4X4 or at leat a ton truck. Rodney

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #15  
Rodney,

I pulled my L35 with my half ton chev and had no trouble. It tipped the scale at about 9000# tractor and trailor.

I even pulled my L48 on the same trailor with the half ton Z71 chev and did OK. Now I have a 3/4 ton chev and it handles it very well. It is rated at 10300#? and the trailor is 2500 and tractor is 7700 so I am at the edge.

I am thinking of getting a different trailor. Mine is a wood bed and heavy for the 10000 gvw class. I saw a couple of trailers at the 10000 gvw class that tip the scales at 2100# with metal decks. This would give me a bit of wiggle room for the truck and total 10000 weight class of the trailer and Michigan's CDL issues.

I see the L39 is a 7000# machine and a 2100# trailer you can manage that for sure behind a standard 3/4 ton truck.

Good luck with your shopping.

Keep us posted.

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #16  
Yes...easy change from what my dealer said. Nobody owns a L39 yet so it's hard to say anything for certain.

Not sure if the BH "quick-attach" feature is standard or not, but it is available. I'm thinking it's standard.

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #17  
Hi folks,

I had been drooloing over the L-35 & L-48 for a while before learning of this excellent site. Since browsing here, I have also paid some attention to the JD-110, but the L-39 has really got me fired up, for a couple of reasons - the foremost being that there are more (& reputedly better-service) orange dealers around me than green ones. The discussions of transmission case and steering failures on the JD continue to propel me toward Kubota, as I can be rough on equipment, and Murphy's Law seems to always be in effect around me.

That said, one of my applications for this TLB would be pulling farm implements that require continuous and low speeds: i.e.- a raised bedder and a water-wheel transplanter. I know that hydro trannies are most commonly employed for this kind of thing, but is the Kubota GST also suitable? Does anyone with access to that dealer-L39-preview-book know what the lowest speed on the new 12-speed GST will be? Any plans to offer a creep-speed version of it? (I think I saw this as on option on Grand-L-30 GST tractors...)

Any thoughts as to whether I'm thinking along reasonable lines here (or whether I should be thinking hydro instead, and return my attention to the L-48 or JD-110) are greatly appreciated.

-otus

/ John Deere 110 TLB transmission case failures #18  
I would definatly check out the L-39 and L-48 instead of the john deere. The 'bota is a proven tractor and can handle alot of abuse, i worked with two of them for a year and a half.