John Deere 111

/ John Deere 111 #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I'm looking for a small riding mower to mow the areas that are too tight for me to get to with my tractor's 60" finishing mower, and also a hill that's too steep for my tractor. I looked at a John Deere 111 riding mower last night. It ran very well and was in pretty good shape. Although it was only 11 horsepower, it seeming to have enough power for the hill. The only trouble was, one of the belts on the deck came off. The seller was able to put it back, and claimed it never happened before (Yeah, right). He was asking $500, then said he was flexible. I was thinking of offering $300 and going as high as $400. Is this a good deal? I don't know how old it is, but am guessing about 20 years. Does anyone know if this is a decent mower, and will handle my needs? Also does anyone know when this model was made, and where I can get a manual for it? I don't want to spend much, and it seems to me that an old Deere would be better than a newer Sears, MTD or Murray.
Thanks!

Rich

/ John Deere 111 #2  
Simplest way to verify is to call a dealer to see if they can still provide parts and some manuals.

/ John Deere 111 #3  
Yes you can go to john deere and get a manual, I give you my word. And it is probably like 15-25 years old. I think it would work good for you, price sounds right.

/ John Deere 111 #4  
Asfor the belt, well, they do stretch, and start coming off. I put one back on 9 10 times so far this summer, finally cut it in half and put a new one on. No problems since.

/ John Deere 111
Thanks for your help guys! I got the guy down to $350, and I bought it. It runs and cuts very well, but barely has enough power to make it up my hill with the pto on, so, I go up the hill with the pto off, and mow on the way down. It's still better than a walk behind mower. I thought 11 horsepower might be a little underpowered, but the price was right, and I can always figure out a way to use it.

Rich

/ John Deere 111 #6  
I think it may just need a tune up. I have an old 112 with a 10hp motor in it, and it is fine. Never had a loss on power on hills.

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

Attachments

• 16-68914-PIC00012.jpg
    16-68914-PIC00012.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,173
   / John Deere 111
Thanks, Paul. You're right, it wasn't a lack of power, but a lack of traction. I'm so used to my tractor with R-1 tires, that I didn't even notice that when I couldn't get up the hill, the wheels were spinning. I'm so used to the traction of R-1's, a lack of traction never even occurred to me. I just go up the less steep side, and it's fine.

However...just my luck, my wife was using it yesterday, doing alot of hills and trim, when it stalled on her. I couldn't get it started until it cooled down, and had a friend look at it. It may have been low on oil. With no dipstick, I thought the oil line should be just below the threads, which it was, but it took over a half quart of oil. We finally got it running again, but now it's acting like it's starved for gas, so I'll pick up a new fuel filter tomorrow, and clean out the sediment bowl. Hopefully that's all it is. It ran great for one time out, and then stalled as it was almost done, the second time out! Just my luck. Hopefully it's just the fuel filter, I'll bet it's never been changed.

Rich

/ John Deere 111 #8  
Could be the coil going bad. My STX46 lacked power and then it started to die unexpectedly. It wouldn't restart untill it cooled off about 2 hours later (tough to mow 2 1/2 acres 15 minutes at a time!). Just a thought if a regular tune up doesn't help.

signature.JPG

/ John Deere 111
Hey Pitbull! You registered!!! Congrads!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Thanks, you're right. My friend and I were thinking with the lack of oil, it may have gotten so hot that it just couldn't turn over and stalled. If the right amount of oil, and a new fuel filter doesn't work, we were thinking we'll try the coil next. It's always good to have someone else with the same opinion!/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thanks,

Rich