John Deere 2020

/ John Deere 2020
Well I found it! You pull the throttle lever up towards you and push it forward and that kills it... Now I found several levers, three of which are on the left side.. One tall one beside the seat pushes away from you and I think locks the rear diff..??? The next is a flat bar lever that I believe to be the PTO lever... Third is a very small flat bar type lever that does??????? The one I believe to be the PTO lever doesn't feel like it is connected to anything in the trans.. Regardless of what lever or combination of, the PTO never engages.. Any thoughts anyone???

/ John Deere 2020 #12  
I have a 2040 which I assume is somewhat similar in makeup. My tractor has some "pictographs" stamped into metal to sort of instruct as to what they do. If you are sitting in the operators seat and stomp down with your left foot- there's the dif lock. The PTO lever is on that same left just a little higher- back is off, forward is on and of course you have to push the clutch in. I think the only other lever I have is on the right-hand side and it is just the hydraulics for the 3pt hitch lift. Hope you figure it all out!

Oh, and to turn mine off you reach down by your left knee and there is a knob you pull towards you that kills the engine. Turning the key does nothing on my '78.

/ John Deere 2020
I have a 1970 model 2020.It shuts off when you turn off the key. One of the best tractors JD ever built.

If you have a 2020 tell me this.. Sitting in the seat, down on the left side by the seat theres a lever with a round knob, you push it away from you..diff lock??? In front of that one is a flat bar lever...pto???? Next one is another flat bar lever that is small... It always grinds a little when engaged but dont know what it does...???

/ John Deere 2020 #14  
you got the diff lock right; flat lever to back is for rear pto,front lever is for mid pto,should be a lever between gearshifts to put ptos in and out of gear. flat levers on side let you select which pto you want to use , mid,rear or both.

/ John Deere 2020 #15  
All of this depends on age or where the tractor was sold . As i said all 20 series i'v known in UK had pull stop down by left knee and PTO is on top of the trans between your legs same as 2130 ..diff lock seems to be the same .. long handle on left side of seat that you push away but also has plate attached to it so you can use as foot pedal too !

/ John Deere 2020 #16  
Some of the JD utility tractors had a 2 stage clutch for the pto and others had a lever in between the gear shift levers. Being the tractor sat for a while it would not hurt to but some fuel condition in it. When you get a operators manual from JD make sure to get one for your tractors serial number range. The serial number should be located on the side of the trans case by your right heal.

/ John Deere 2020 #17  
I only ever saw 1 2020 with 2 stage pto down on left side of trans casing ....We have had 5 2020's and this was the oldest one .

/ John Deere 2020 #18  
check and see if your 2020 has mid pto facing forward right under your feet in the middle of your tractor

/ John Deere 2020 #19  
I also just purchased a J D 2020, not sure of the year, and it has a wire to the injector pump that shuts off the fuel.
Does anyone know if this motor has glow plugs? Somewhere I saw a photo that showed turning ignition switch in the opposite direction turns them on. If so how long should they be left on before starting?