John Deere 2040 locked up?

/ John Deere 2040 locked up?
You could try putting it in 8th gear and rocking it while some one watches the front of the crank for movement. Rocking as in a guy on each rear wheel trying to move the tractor, NOT towing it.
Thank you Zebra! That's a good idea.

I had a very similar issue several years ago. I am wondering if you have a rod or main bearing that spun. I was able to diagnose a spun rod bearing by dropping the oil pan and loosening the rod caps one by one and trying to turn the crank. When I got to the rod cap w/ the spun bearing, I was easily able to turn the crank. Same procedure can be used on the main caps as well. It was a relatively quick process.
Ok, thanks Kernopelli!

So I found the problem... the nut came off the front of the oil pump drive causing the oil pump to stop pumping. I don't know what would cause this, but when I took it apart the nut was in the oil pan and the threads are all messed up.

There is significant damage to the rod bearings, and the crank has some damage where the rear rod was. I have really limited time and money and am going to try to smooth the crank as best I can by hand and see what happens.

As I'm sanding it I am seeing something weird on the crank, see the attached picture. Is this supposed to be a port where oil comes out or something? I don't see a hole through my new rod bearings so didn't think it was but this is all pretty new to me so wanted to get some advice.

I have a friend that's helping me when he gets a chance but his availability is limited so looking for answers here too.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Scott

photo (21).jpg

/ John Deere 2040 locked up? #14  
Just a little story about my brothers tractor.
Tractor developed a knock in the bottom end. Dropped pan and it had spun a couple of rod bearings. Tractor was old so he had a guy do a complete rebuild, newcrank, pistons, sleeves, valve job, the whole nine yards. Put engine back in tractor cranked it up sounded good. He took tractor out and used it for a while and noticed another knock in the bottom end. Dropped pan and realized, he never filled it with oil. Of course the crank and rods bearing surfaces where scared. Well, he took emory cloth and polished the crank and installed new bearings. This time he filled with oil. Tractor ran fine, for about a year of limited use. Then it developed another knock in the bottom end. Moral of story, engines dont last long without oil and sanded cranks with new bearings dont last much longer. My opinon is sanding the crank and installing new bearings is only going to buy you a little time before your back into the engine again, and next time it can be much worse, especially if a rod breaks, or you spin a main bearing and ruin the engine block. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time and that tractor should last for years. Or you can do what my brother did, waste a bunch of money trying cheap tricks and then buying a new tractor.

/ John Deere 2040 locked up? #15  
I am going to have to agree with Muddstopper, I do understand having limited funds and wanting to save some time and money. But you are not really going to save any time or money here. In the time it takes you to sand a polish the crank you could have engine torn down. Complete major Engine Overhaul Kit from A&I is under $800.00 bucks you can have the crank turned for about $100 bucks. So for about $1000.00 bucks you can do it right. Time wise you should be able to tear it down in 3-4 hours and you can get it back together in a couple of Saturdays. If you don't have the funds to do it right just push it to the side for now and save the $100 bucks you are going to spend on this repair that is not going to hold up and is only going to cause more damage to your crank, if you are not careful you will be replacing the crank also. Save up and once you have the funds go at it and do it right.