John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
Hello Everyone!

My 2120, aside from figuring out the breaking issue this weekend, when I'm shifting from forward to reverse or High range to Low range I can always get it out of gear but going to where I want it to go sometimes required me to go back in the range I left, move the tractor another inch and then I can get into the target range. Sometimes I have to work the shift lever through all the options before trying again to go where I want it to go.

I hope this doesn't require the tractor to be split to figure this one out.. What is wearing out or what can I adjust?

M

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #2  
Try letting out the clutch when in the neutral position.. i.e between gears. See if maybe you are getting hung up in a gear by some wear on the shifting forks... just a thought. Assume there has been a transmission fluid change to rule out that old oil possibility.

What broke this weekend?

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #3  
The biggest hang up in Trannys is worn gear selecting overshifters ,spring Detentes,and lopsided worn forks.
Oil changes are required....the inside of transmissions are to be ultra clean. The gaps inside tyranny's are 10-20 thousands. even a simple blade of grass inside can screw things up.

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking
Try letting out the clutch when in the neutral position.. i.e between gears. See if maybe you are getting hung up in a gear by some wear on the shifting forks... just a thought. Assume there has been a transmission fluid change to rule out that old oil possibility.

What broke this weekend?

Ahh well still need to figure out what's wrong with the 2950 linkage and on the 2120 the right brake pedal goes all the way down on first pump so need to bleed that.... always something with these old units.

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking
The biggest hang up in Trannys is worn gear selecting overshifters ,spring Detentes,and lopsided worn forks.
Oil changes are required....the inside of transmissions are to be ultra clean. The gaps inside tyranny's are 10-20 thousands. even a simple blade of grass inside can screw things up.

Oil change was done just over a year ago, maybe has 200 hrs on it at best.

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #6  
Grapscrews on shifterforks came loose ? Remove rockshafthousing and check screws

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #7  
Ahh well still need to figure out what's wrong with the 2950 linkage and on the 2120 the right brake pedal goes all the way down on first pump so need to bleed that.... always something with these old units.

Left-right Equalize valve in brake master cylinder is leaking.

/ John Deere 2120 Gear Shift Leavers Sticking #9  
I never replace 11&12. Bleed that side. Check if hydraulic filter has some brakeling in it and if there is metalfilings in. That will tel you if brakes needs overhauling