John Deere 2305 not charging.

/ John Deere 2305 not charging. #11  
Thanks, that's good info. We buy a lot from DigiKey. most of what we order is here the following morning.

/ John Deere 2305 not charging. #12  
My experience with charging issues on my 2305….My problem solved..

Not charging at all, would keep battery on a tender, start tractor, use it, wouldn’t restart without being on a jumper or charger.

Tested relays and fuses and everything seemed good. Purchased a 255-2725-ND 6 pin relay which from what forums say is the K5 saftey relay, and a voltage regulator off ebay.

The john deere version relay was 95$, found a non JD brand for 8$. The JD regulator was over 100$ found a generic one off ebay for 20$. When I got the regulator it didn’t work immediately, then realized the wiring wasnt matching up to the OEM colors. I matched colors as best as I could. There is 2 blues, a red, a white, a black and a green. The ebay regulator doesn’t work if u pin them just like the OEM. I google a pic (pic below) of one and pinned it like the pic and boom…I have 13.5-14.5v.

I also checked the alternator for voltage.. but for some reason, no matter which way I checked the 2 pins ( to each other or each to ground) I never got a reading. But once I slipped with my probe and hit both pins together and it made a small spark….So I knew it was making power… I chalked it up as, maybe it needs to see a load before it puts out more power… Shrugs shoulders….

After i got the system charging I realized I had left the glow plug relay unhooked… I hooked it up and the system dropped to 12.5v… come to find out the glow plugs were staying on all the time. I dug into the relays.. The 4 pin bigger power relay for the glow plugs (which is located on LH side under console) was working correctly when I bench test it. I traced it back to the Glow plug timer relay. These are on the RH side bolted down under all the wiring. It has 4 pins and wires coming out of them to a plug (pics below)

One looked a little dark on the label like it could have possibly gotten hot and was possibly sticking on. I swapped relays since there are 2 (im not exactly sure what function the other one has) and it did the same thing still. From what I understand when that relay sees voltage, it starts a timer and should switch off after a given time. Mine only used 3 wires.. - + and the switched wire that goes to the glow plug relay. This switched wire always had 12v with the key on. When I unplugged the timer relay the glow plugs turned off. Instead of buying timer relays for 50$ I just cut the switched wire (red / white stripe) and ran a push button switch to my dash. That way in the winter I can just hold the button on myself to energize the glow plugs.

Glow plugs draw a lot of amps and will kill batteries and parts fast!

Im assuming the glow plugs were staying on, over driving the alternator and voltage regulator causing the regulator to blow. It had melted some of the rubber insulation on the back and smelled burnt. I also think it has hurt my battery since it has been cycled to below the power level it likes to live quite a few times.

Hope this helps someone…..this was racking my brain!

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 151
  • s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 155
   / John Deere 2305 not charging. #13  
I'm searching for this part# (CA1-DC12V-N), but when i'm finding pictures showing it with only 4 connectors inside the plug??

/ John Deere 2305 not charging. #14  
I haven't been able to locate this part number anywhere...255-2725-ND 6 pin relay...can you help out, or is it maybe a different number now?

/ John Deere 2305 not charging. #15  
Welcome to TBN

Those are not part numbers used by Deere (likely a supplier number).. maybe you can find the Deere s/n by putting in the model number 2305 at this link and tracking down the part on the wiring harness.
Or check out with your Deere dealer.

Or more information for help to help you.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 2305 not charging. #16  
I am aware this is an old thread but can someone explain how the K5 relay impacts the charging circuit?