John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #1  

OrangeAgain

Silver Member
Tractor
2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor
Winter has already begun with lots of snow here in Vermont.

I recently acquired a 2WD 2440 (1980-1981 vintage) with the purchase of a farm and would like to know:

1. How well does it perform in snow?

2. Do I need chains to use it in snow? Type of chains?

Thanks in advance for any advice?

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #2  
This depends on what you have. FEL or blower. You will definitely need chains/counterweight if using a FEL cause most of the weight will be on the front making the rear light and loose traction. Rear blower would give you the weight needed for traction. Four wheel tractor would be better but you got to use what you have. I see in your avatar that you already own a Kubota L275 4x4 tractor and a JD. Just wondering.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow
No FEL on the JD 2440. Like to at least be able to use a 6' - 7' blade on the rear without chains.

What size, 6' or 7' rear blade do you recommend?

The Kubota L275 4WD is at my home, not at the farm. I use it to maintain our long driveway.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #4  
A front end loader with nothing on the back and no tire ballast......the thing wont be impressive at all. Chains or no. Just not enough weight on the drive tires.

So if using a loader on that machine, you need loaded tires AND ~1500+lbs on the 3PH to be effective pushing.

If no loader, using a rear blade would work as is pretty well as there isnt a big loader up front taking weight off the rears.

But either way, if you have any hills at all, best to use one of the 4wd tractors you have listed, as you gain 2 extra tires to help stop if needed when on hills.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow
Rear tires on JD 2440 are loaded.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #6  
You will still want to hang something heavy back there, and it will still suck trying to stop on any kind of hill on a slick surface compared to a 4wd

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #7  
No FEL on the JD 2440. Like to at least be able to use a 6' - 7' blade on the rear without chains.

What size, 6' or 7' rear blade do you recommend?

The Kubota L275 4WD is at my home, not at the farm. I use it to maintain our long driveway.

Depending on how wide your tractoris. You want the back blade to stick out abit on the outside of your tires like pictured on my CK which is a 6'blade.
View attachment 402751

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #8  
You will want chains.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #9  
Definitely will need chains. Any 2 wheel drive should have chains. Not so for 4wd unless going up steep hills.

/ John Deere 2440 2WD Performance in Snow #10  
When there is ice on the drive and in 4wd with no chains, taking a backward slide down the 12% slope is no fun.

If no ice, just snow packed, and cold temps as in zero fahrenheit ... then the tires don't slip much.