Planters John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #11  
I live in KS. and the use of liquid fertilizer has become pretty prevalent . I just use a 15 gallon 12 volt sprayer with the appropriate orifices for fertilizer. Need to be able to control ground speed application rate (orifice size) If expense get out of hand on your 246 hoppers an etc. get out of hand a look at liquid fertilizer might be in order.

My biggest issue is finding someone who will sell me the small quantities that I need. Most of the time I buy leftover from the farmers.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #12  
I live in KS. and the use of liquid fertilizer has become pretty prevalent . I just use a 15 gallon 12 volt sprayer with the appropriate orifices for fertilizer. Need to be able to control ground speed application rate (orifice size) If expense get out of hand on your 246 hoppers an etc. get out of hand a look at liquid fertilizer might be in order.

My biggest issue is finding someone who will sell me the small quantities that I need. Most of the time I buy leftover from the farmers.

Hi Jim, I do not want to hijack the OP's post but I was thinking of trying liquid fertilizer next summer. I picked up this old 7 row 71 a few weeks back and it is set up with a manifold and tubes to spray phosphate right in with the seed. The fellow I purchased it from said he used it with corn and soybeans for years with this setup. Thought some would find this setup simple and helpful for liquid fertilizer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• liquidfertmanifold.jpg
    liquidfertmanifold.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 8,369
  • liquidfertmanifold2.jpg
    liquidfertmanifold2.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 9,446
   / John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #13  
Ken, it's really great that you are always helping posters on tbn solve their problems. I hate to criticize, but I think you should consider updating your digital camera because your pictures are never very clear.

It is not the camera, It is the resolution we have it set at. We send out hundreds of pictures a week of implements and most of the time each email will have 4-5-6 pictures in it. If we go any higher on the resolution setting, it locks a lot of customers email in boxes up. Not everyone has a high speed connection to the internet. Sorta have to split the difference in picture quality. Ken Sweet

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #14  
It is not the camera, It is the resolution we have it set at. We send out hundreds of pictures a week of implements and most of the time each email will have 4-5-6 pictures in it. If we go any higher on the resolution setting, it locks a lot of customers email in boxes up. Not everyone has a high speed connection to the internet. Sorta have to split the difference in picture quality. Ken Sweet

Ken...shoot the picture in high res and reduce the image size with an image editor and you'll be left with a much higher quality image to send to your customers without taking any more space in mailboxes. May increase $ales as well.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #15  
Hi Jim, I do not want to hijack the OP's post but I was thinking of trying liquid fertilizer next summer. I picked up this old 7 row 71 a few weeks back and it is set up with a manifold and tubes to spray phosphate right in with the seed. The fellow I purchased it from said he used it with corn and soybeans for years with this setup. Thought some would find this setup simple and helpful for liquid fertilizer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes, looks good. Mine is a little simpler as I only use a 1 row planter. Some care needs to be used when adding fertilizer in furrow with seed as some fertilizer will burn seed. Bigger tank than my 15 gallon would be in order for 7 rower.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #16  
Ken...shoot the picture in high res and reduce the image size with an image editor and you'll be left with a much higher quality image to send to your customers without taking any more space in mailboxes. May increase $ales as well.

WE already do the image reduction and if I go any smaller, My over 60 customers probably won't be able to see it real good. I actually have lots of emails sent in here in 24 case size letters in the body of the emails. Old camera has logged about 10 Mil in sales, so I will stick with her a little longer. Ken Sweet

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #17  
Yes, looks good. Mine is a little simpler as I only use a 1 row planter. Some care needs to be used when adding fertilizer in furrow with seed as some fertilizer will burn seed. Bigger tank than my 15 gallon would be in order for 7 rower.

I bought this 7 row planter for the tool bar. I'll never use a 7 row planter for the 2 acres of corn I plant. I'll put my already refurbished 2-row 71's on this tool bar after I cut it down.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions
Thanks for the help everyone. Sweet I will shoot you an email in the next day or two.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #19  
According to my info your 246 planter uses the same planter plates as the ones listed below. Generally there are quite a few plates listed on E-Bay with the 71 being the most common. With the right plates you will be able to plant most anything. JD has a good parts listing with schematics on their website. The website is a bit tricky to use, but, if I can do it, anyone can.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

MODEL #
494A
495A

Your right about JD parts listing being tricky. I got all of the diagrams etc except the plates info I need. I'm trying to determine which plate will work with today's field & sweet corn seed. I think the problem is the plates I have will not drop seed on a regular interval. They did work for sunflowers although planted them to thick. The range sprocket was in high, low should be better. Lincoln Ag says they have plates for 246's but they can't tell me which one's plant which seed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ John Deere 246 Corn Planter Questions #20  
How have you been making out w/ your JD 246 planting field & sweet corn? Mine will not drop corn seed regularly. I think it is the plates but I do not have a manual yet to resolve. Thanks.