John Deere 246 Planter

/ John Deere 246 Planter #1  

bullsupt

Tractor
Ford 860
Are all John Deere 246 planters equipped to "check" corn. I just bought a 246 today and there are a lot of sprockets, etc that make it look like a checker. Will this be a problem for regular corn planting.

/ John Deere 246 Planter #2  
:welcome:

Not sure on the 246, but someone will be able to answer.

Are you thinking you have the mechanism for checking using the checking wire strung out? Done so the corn could be cultivated across the rows as well as along the rows.

/ John Deere 246 Planter #3  
On the 240 that we have -- it plants fine and was originally used to check corn as well. Try and use the correct plate for the type of see that you are using and you should have no problems.

/ John Deere 246 Planter #4  
Are all John Deere 246 planters equipped to "check" corn. I just bought a 246 today and there are a lot of sprockets, etc that make it look like a checker. Will this be a problem for regular corn planting.

We have several JD and JD/Lustran plates if you need any for the 246-247. $25 a pair and free shipping in the lower 48. Ken Sweet

/ John Deere 246 Planter #5  
The 246 is not a check row planter. A check row planter allows cross-row cultivating and they were popular in the late 1800's until the 1940's or so. The 246's were from the 1950's and do not have the mechanism for feeding the check wire/rope. I have used one for a long time for all my sweetcorn and deer food plots. I prefer the 246 over the newer model 71's because it has dry-fertilizer applicators which are handy for applying starter fertilizer only on the rows. The (3) sets of sprockets on the 246 allow (3) different seed spacing using the same plates. It will drop seeds at 2", 4" or 8" spacing. I use a set of medium round plates for almost everything with good results. For small rounds, I go with the 8" spacing because it will drop (2) seeds in each hole. I doubt there are any more popular seed plates than those for the model 246. The model 71 uses the same plates.

/ John Deere 246 Planter #6  
246 can be set for hill drop or drilling seed. Model 247 is a check row planter. Old technology.....Less consistant planting depth than later models, incredibly time consuming changing row width compared to unit planters (ie #70, #71) Not quite as adjustable for seed spacing as 70/71. (which can be a major factor in some crops where very close seed spacing is preferred) 246/247's have a tendency to make seed "tumble" as it drops if planting speeds are much more than 3 to 3-1/2mph. 71's are even better than 70's in that regard, generally planting very consistant up to 5-1/2 to 6 mph. Tumbling the seed will effect accuracy of seed spacing, depending on seed, maybe quite a bit. Ground speed is not a big deal if you're planting a garden sized plot, but a major difference when planting a bigger field. Also, 246/247's don't like a rough seed bed. 70/71's shine in rough conditions.

Check row planting stayed semi popular well into the mid 70's for some "niche crops". Nothing prettier than driving past a checked field done right, even if it is VERY much "old school".

/ John Deere 246 Planter
Thanks everyone. The guy I bought it from said it was a "checker", I agree it does not look like my Oliver that my Dad used as a checker. I am beginning my restoration tomorrow, bought a case of WD 40.

/ John Deere 246 Planter #8  
I would like to find a lid for the seed container for a 246 John deer planter