John deere 24t/14t differences

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #1  

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Good morning y'all! Could you guys explain the different characteristics of these 2 balers. I'm leaning towards the 24t. I have several of each found, a few ready to bail now. We will be pulling it with a old 60 John Deere and on occasion with my 4200. I have seen on here where it has been done with 20 pto horsepower tractors. We will be baling for our own use, Bermuda grass for our starting registered Hereford herd and wheat straw bedding for them and our registered spot pigs. So no commercial baling yet. Thanks, LUTT

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #2  
24T is the later model with probably slight higher capacity. Knotter parts on both are the same. I've pulled a 214 with a JD BO(14 hp)

/ John deere 24t/14t differences
Thanks Texas Jim! I suspected that, our JD parts guy said he thinks he can get most the parts for the 24t, but wasn't so sure about the 14, the few 24 t I have found were in use last year, a couple even have kickers. But it's not gonna be a deal breaker. Really don't know if I need them! I'm just gonna have to drive a long ways for any of them I have found. I will be upgrading to a late 90's model 5000 series 50 or bigger horse next year. Just with a open station am 2 wheel drive with a loader .This summer it's just gonna have to be done with the old 2 cylinder and the little 4200, trying to pay cash as I go, getting where being in my early forties , I'm already thinking about retirement! Thank LUTT

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #4  
I've had both, and performance is pretty much the same. I ran the 14T behind my little 17hp Kubota B7100 for a season... Baling uphill definitely loaded the tractor, and I just avoided going downhill 'cause the baler outweighed the tractor considerably (by about 1000 lbs :eek:), but it worked and got me through the season.

Many parts will interchange between the 14T and 24T. All the wear/consumable parts for both should be available from your dealer. Some 14T specific significant repair parts (i.e. gearbox internals, sprockets, etc.) may be hard to find, but there is often one being parted out on E-Bay. There are some construction refinements on the 24T that make it more desirable and maybe more durable. A big advantage from my perspective is the 24T wheels are set closer to the baler body, making it 8ft wide instead of ~9ft, so it's easier to fit into my narrow barn door, and easier to tow down the road while it keeping between the lines.

Thanks Pete's, running it with 17 pto horsepower is good to know. Makes me feel better about the 20 on my 4200! Do you know if a bale thrower or kicker would be good to have? There are some I have found with that,I've never used one. We always picked them up out of the field. Thanks LUTT

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #6  
I picked up a well used 24t last year and I had really good luck with it. I used my Kioti DK45 (about 38 pto HP) and had no problems at all. The only thing that I noticed about it vs. what the guy who used to do our custom baling was speed and capacity. It makes really nice, even pretty bales with nice knots, but not at nearly the speed of a newer baler. I only need to punch out a few hundred at a time anyway, so it's not that big a deal, but I did break a few shear pins and clog the infeed up a couple of times by going too fast through a clump of hay.

I don't know how much difference there is between a 24t and 14t - I've heard the 24t is prefereable, but the 14t balers baled a lot of hay. If I get the opportunity to pick up one for parts, I probably will.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Take care.

Thanks a lot! I'm not gonna be baling a lot, just part of a 80 of Bermuda grass On the halves for my our own personal use and some wheat straw for animal bedding. There is a few 14ts around Iay have to check, prices do ones in supposedly working order are about the same. Thanks LUTT

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #8  
Last year I ran the 24T behind my "new" (1962) IH B275 (38hp) and it was punching out a bale every 15 to 20 seconds, probably 50% faster than when I used the little Kubota the year before. That's plenty high capacity for me.

I woudn't recommend running a kicker with a little tractor. 20hp will run the baler fine, but the kicker adds weight and requires more epower. I've never really understood peoples desire to use a kicker. Unless you're a one man operation, it sure seems easier to have someone stack on the trailer, or pick up out of the field than have to deal with a random pile of bales in a cage when it comes time to unload.

/ John deere 24t/14t differences #9  
what prices are you seeing for operational 24T balers?

Thanks on the info about the kicker, really didn't think I needed one, I'm not looking into high volume production! Lol! We have a John Deere 60 2 cylinder that will run the baler most if the time! I thought about a extended bale chute and a wagon since most of the production is centered on one area, though. Just straight out of the field and to the shed. My 2 teenage girls, wife, and father n law is the operation, so I won't be doing it by myself! Thanks LUTT