John Deere 24t - any difference in years/models?

/ John Deere 24t - any difference in years/models?
Well, just as another update, due to some unforseen problems with some other people, I've ended up baling a lot more with this baler than I ever intended. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot, but I've punched out almost 1,000 bales so far, mostly in a couple of hundred increments. I've baled some thin hay and some thick hay, and I have to go really slow in the thick stuff. I've still managed to shear several pins in thick hay and have clogged the pick-up a few times, but I figure that's just part of it.

I haven't been able to get the twine to switch over without having it break - that may be just that I can't get my knots from one ball to the other small and tight enough, but if that's the worst problem I have, I'm in good shape.

The only positive side to baling this much (which, I know, is still not much at all) is that the baler is starting to pay for itself. At the same time, I've already put more use on it this year than I planned on doing in the next couple of years.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with my acquisition and hope that I can keep chugging on with it for a few more years. I appreciate the advice given.

Good luck and take care.

/ John Deere 24t - any difference in years/models? #22  
Congrats! I only meant to do a few hundred with my "new" 24T as well... I added it all up last week and figured I did just over 2100 bales this year. It's hard to stop haying as long as there is available grass nearby.... but all the hay equipment will pay back in year 1.

A broken input shaft at the gearbox at about bale #10, and a broken needle frame lift rod at about bale #2075 were the only problems I had. Only 2 missed ties and a couple shear pins broken due to over-stuffing in heavy windrows, plus another when the lift arm broke leaving the needles in the bale chamber (thanks for doing your job Mr. Plungerstop!).

Not bad for a $750 baler that's 50-odd years old. Both breaks had evidence of cracks that had been forming for awhile. I made a new PH wrist pin mid summer since it was a little sloppy and no longer round (keep grease on it!), and replaced a few pickup tines that were broken when I got it. New tires are on my list before next season, but think this baler will easily last as long as I'm interested in making hay, and will still be worth more than I'll ever have into it. Enjoy!

/ John Deere 24t - any difference in years/models? #23  
Congrats! I only meant to do a few hundred with my "new" 24T as well... I added it all up last week and figured I did just over 2100 bales this year. It's hard to stop haying as long as there is available grass nearby.... but all the hay equipment will pay back in year 1.

A broken input shaft at the gearbox at about bale #10, and a broken needle frame lift rod at about bale #2075 were the only problems I had. Only 2 missed ties and a couple shear pins broken due to over-stuffing in heavy windrows, plus another when the lift arm broke leaving the needles in the bale chamber (thanks for doing your job Mr. Plungerstop!).

Not bad for a $750 baler that's 50-odd years old. Both breaks had evidence of cracks that had been forming for awhile. I made a new PH wrist pin mid summer since it was a little sloppy and no longer round (keep grease on it!), and replaced a few pickup tines that were broken when I got it. New tires are on my list before next season, but think this baler will easily last as long as I'm interested in making hay, and will still be worth more than I'll ever have into it. Enjoy!

You guys are encouraging. I am baling for the first time in a few days with a 14T I just picked up.