Comparison John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #11  
Everything you mentioned can be handled by a subcompact tractor. If you want a Deere the 1026r looks like a good choice. The Kubota BXes are also sized right. I would aim for 23-26 hp. All of them can handle either fron or rear plows and snowblowers.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #12  
I agree that a 1026R would be a good choice for your list of jobs. With a drive over deck it makes switching from mower duty to tractor work an easy swap.

If you have to deal with steep slopes I would consider the x748 and x749 I think their better in that specific use.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #13  
Unless you are narrowed down to the x2xx or x3xx series, I would consider the X748 with a 62" deck. It's 4WD diesel and would do everything you want it to. It will mow 5 acres like a shot, maybe in to 2 hours. For piles of mulch a 3 pt hitch and dirt scoop will work great. It will haul gravel & dirt quite easily. A front blade will level off more than you can imagine.

Unless you have a lot of digging to do or have need of a lot of loader work or just have your heart set on those bigger tractors, I would consider this option. I blew a 700 ft. driveway in Wisconsin for 20 years with that type of set-up. I have a 3720 with FEL also but I found the x7xx I use works better for keeping the driveway clear.

And I can mow all day long quite easily with it. You can take that sideways on a hill where the x2xx would only dream about.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres
Thanks for all the info!!
Ok... I leaning toward the 2520 with the following implements. What options should I get on the tractor and approx. cost of new vs used. (before I talk to the dealerships)

1. 72" MMM
2. Front snow blower
3. 200cx
4. turf tires
5. back blade

Will have to wait on the zero turn and tiller until I can build a barn for storage.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #15  
mach1mason said:
Thanks for all the info!!
Ok... I leaning toward the 2520 with the following implements. What options should I get on the tractor and approx. cost of new vs used. (before I talk to the dealerships)

1. 72" MMM
2. Front snow blower
3. 200cx
4. turf tires
5. back blade

Will have to wait on the zero turn and tiller until I can build a barn for storage.

I think you should really look into the price of the MMM and see if you might be able to get a zero turn. At last check they were nearly $3k, for $1k more you can have a separate machine. Just food for thought...

As for pricing got to JDs online builder, build what you would like and expect about 10-15% off of that.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #16  
The mower plus mounting parts will be about 3K. Some people really want a mower and some would rather mow with the tractor. I went with the MMM because the way the JD decks are built, I think they will last forever with almost no maintenance. I'm trying to minimize the number of engines, tires, etc I have around the place.

Unless something has changed with pricing, get the list price on line, take about 10% off and start dealing from there.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres
what about the differences between new and used tractors? What are the primary factors with used tractors?

Also when builting a new tractor on deere.com...2520, i could not get it to come woth a FEL, availible options were only mower deck and snow blower.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #18  
The bonus of used is lower price, extra free ad ons, no taxes.
The down side is what you don't know. Less warranty also.

/ John Deere 2x20 vs 3x20??? 5 acres #19  
I ditto what yelbike said, and don't forget about financing. Due to most people not having all the cash on hand they have to drop the price greatly in the first couple years a tractor is old, then it evens out. A 3 year old tractor may drop 25% off of sticker, but a 10 year old tractor is only about 35-40% off MSRP. If you can pay cash, and have an excellent deal on a low hour, used machine, it will benefit your pocket book a lot to not have to pay the extra.

I am a believer in new is the best... and I say that as I bought a used tractor 3 days ago. Fit my budget better (a lot better, like $25,000 cheaper) and was in good condition. Now I gotta sell my tractor though...

Deere's builder isn't always the greatest. 2520 definitely has a loader, just looked it up, went in through attachments. 200CX lists at $3,305, 200X is $2,621. I feel the extra power and quick attach/detach is worth it for the CX though.