John Deere 318 needs a new engine

/ John Deere 318 needs a new engine #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
My John Deere 318 with a Onan P218 either split the crank or threw a rod. Either way fixing a 19 year old engine with over 700 hours on it seems maybe it's time to replace it. What do you think?

Thanks

Chris

/ John Deere 318 needs a new engine #2  
I would find out exactly what is wrong with it and probably fix it. If it has had regular service 700 hours is not a lot for an Onan P218. To repower it you are looking at about $1500 for a new engine plus labor. Most parts for your Onan engine are available through Cummins dealers which should be less expensive than Deere.
Good luck,
Ken

Last edited:
   / John Deere 318 needs a new engine #4  
A friend did a repower with a 20 some horse honda and put a smaller pulley on the deck. It's not cheep but man, what a mowing machine. I think the small engine warehouse has the repower kits that are a bolt in kit.

Dan

/ John Deere 318 needs a new engine #5  
I would find out exactly what is wrong with it and probably fix it. If it has had regular service 700 hours is not a lot for an Onan P218. To repower it you are looking at about $1500 for a new engine plus labor. Most parts for your Onan engine are available through Cummins dealers which should be less expensive than Deere.
Good luck,
Ken

Look around and you can get a good engine for 1/3 to 1/2 that price. Those 318's are great tractors and still in demand. I'd repower it.