John Deere 318 wont crank

/ John Deere 318 wont crank #1  

masher

Tractor
John Deere 318
I was using my 318 and it ran out of gas, I filled it back up and then it would not start up or even crank. I checked the 2 fuses and they are fine, I charged the battery and it seems good, connections are tight. When I try to crank it I here a click from a 'black box' behind the battery near the steering column. Any ideas on what to look at next???

Thanks for any advice.

/ John Deere 318 wont crank #2  
You may have charged it and it seems fine but you could still have a bad cell. Jump it with your car. If it starts, replace the battery. If it still won't crank, check both ends of each battery cable and especially the frame ground.

/ John Deere 318 wont crank #3  
Is the PTO switch in the off position and hydro in neutral?

/ John Deere 318 wont crank
I've tried it with a 'jump box' and still got the click. I am going to grab a new battery today as this one is about 5 years old, I'll check everything over again when I put it in.

Yes, the PTO is off and the Hydro is in Neutral. I have had some troubles with the PTO switch though, sometimes it wont turn on unless I 'wiggle' it a bit when it is in the 'up' position. Is there any way to bypass it to see if it starts?

/ John Deere 318 wont crank #5  
Not implying this is your tractor's issue / just saying -

RE: Crank issues - I had exact same problem and it was corrosion inside battery cable ends. Removed cables and applied baking Soda and small amount of water to neutralize corrosion on posts and cables + removed battery and battery pan to access solenoid below pan. Cleaned up solenoid connection and tractor was starting fine from then o n

RE: PTO SWITCH - I removed retaining nut, slipped out switch and cleaned up connections no further issues

good luck

/ John Deere 318 wont crank
I put a new battery in and now it is working fine, thanks.

On the negative battery cable there is a smaller cable coming from it. Where is that supposed to go? Mine is cut off and only about 4 inches long and not connected to anything.