John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #11  
................. I would start by cleaning the filters, radiator and condenser coil. If this doesn't solve his problems then at least it will be clean when he takes it to the dealer. Since the OP isn't an hvac technician and the tractor is a 2012 model let the dealer fix it. As you know most people start by adding refrigerant instead of properly trouble shooting the system, I have always disliked coming behind these people to do the actual repairs.
Just finished reading this thread and I'd put my money here with Jenkins. I had the identical same experience on my 3720 cab tractor A/C and it turned out to be semi plugged condenser coil just behind the front screen. Thought sure it had be low refrigerant but gauges said otherwise. The condenser didn't look all that dirty but compressed air blew out tons of crud. The A/C then worked like new again. I've also used water to clean radiator and condenser. Amazing how much stuff comes out of there sometimes. If cleaning doesn't fix it I'd turn it over to the dealer for warranty fix. If you called JD service and they found a dirty condenser coil they would likely charge you for the service.

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #12  
Had a similar issue last week with my 03 GMC last week. Would not cool except at highway speed. Dealer had to remove the fan shroud and fan to be able to clean out between the condenser and radiator. Big chunks of dirt that were caked in came out when the mechanic was able to get to it and wash it out. Everything else was fine and it works like new now. I would try washing it out before I took it in.

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #13  
Sounds like a classic refrigerant leak. The compressor is "short cycling" from low charge.
I don't see a 3720 on your equipment list. Cycle time on mine varies with ambient temp relative to operator temp control setting. Mine's worked perfectly fine since the temp control cable was adjusted to the correct length. Subsequently a 15 second rate on hot days is not unusual. Haven't added an ounce of refrigerant in the 2.5 years I've owned it, and I'm still comfortable inside the cab on 100F days. But I've also gone through 3 cabin filters in that time, and clean the condenser up front regularly. PITA too, as the battery, the inter-cooler and the oil cooler have to be removed first - before you can even get clear access to the condenser. Behind that still, lies the radiator core.

//greg//

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #14  
........... a 15 second rate on hot days is not unusual. Haven't added an ounce of refrigerant in the 2.5 years I've owned it, and I'm still comfortable inside the cab on 100F days. But I've also gone through 3 cabin filters in that time, and clean the condenser up front regularly. PITA too, as the battery, the inter-cooler and the oil cooler have to be removed first - before you can even get clear access to the condenser. Behind that still, lies the radiator core.

//greg//
Have to agree with Greg. My 3720 is 6 years old with 420 hrs and the A/C is same as when new as long as the filters, screens and especially the coolers up front (inter-cooler, oil cooler, condenser, radiator) are all kept reasonably clean, and yes it can be a PITA. Plus, I haven't had to add any refrigerant yet. I firmly believe the OP may find the same thing with his although there is still the possibility the refrigerant is low or a sensor is bad but those are the last items I'd check based on my experience (warranty should cover in OP's case)

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field
It does seem to be doing better now that everything is clean. Had no real way to do it out in the field on the job site though. Need to get a portable air tank and air gun/nozzle to spray it out. I did end up using water to spray out the radiator and grille -- later found out from JD that's not advisable since it would make the seeds swell in the radiator & condenser.

Seems to be doing good though; but, yesterday was only round 80 degrees instead of 105!

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #16  
I did end up using water to spray out the radiator and grille -- later found out from JD that's not advisable since it would make the seeds swell in the radiator & condenser.

I suppose this COULD happen but I've never had it happen the few times I've used water. Glad to hear the A/C is working better. BTW, 80* may not seem so hot but if the sun is strong you can bake in the glass enclosed cab if the A/C isn't working, but you already know that I'm sure.

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #17  
I use air most of the time to blow off the dirt because it is easier to do. I wouldn't worry too much about using water though, you have to do what works best for you and your conditions. I use my power washer when it is appropriate too. Just don't damage the fins getting too close to them.

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #18  
While you may very well be correct I would start by cleaning the filters, radiator and condenser coil. If this doesn't solve his problems then at least it will be clean when he takes it to the dealer. .

DITTO

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field
She's still for sure having issues. Used it a bit today.. hot, hot, hot.

Got a list going of issues on it so far. Some may be normal, but others for sure need to be addressed...

- Front Axle Oil seems to always be low
- Lift Arms randomly drop, suddenly and violently
- Air Conditioner short cycles and blows hot air on warms days, of after extended period of use
- Steering Wheel squeaks when turning fast/quick
- Radiator seems to "drink" water
- HVAC blower switch seems to be odd in "full" position.. won't stay in high.
-

/ John Deere 3520 - Air Conditioner Issue & Cleaning Radiator in Field #20  
Sounds like it is time to take it in to the dealer with a list of issues.