Sickle Bar John Deere #39 Sickle Bar Mower

/ John Deere #39 Sickle Bar Mower #1  

Eric_in_Ohio

Tractor
2004 New Holland TC35A
I have found a #39 John Deere Sickle Mower. Listed for $450. Some guy bought it from the ad in the paper and found out it wouldn't work on his tractor. He called the guy he bought it from and told them if anyone calls about it (by seeing the ad) to give them his name and he would resell it. Now I don't know what condition it is in, but I plan on checking into it. What reason could there possibly be for it to not hook up to his tractor other than being a completely different category hitch. I would think he would have checked on this before buying it though? I plan on calling him tomorrow to find out the details. I'm just hoping to get some info on the #39 from this vast knowledge base first. Can anyone tell me about the #39 and what to look out for? Thanks all!

/ John Deere #39 Sickle Bar Mower #2  
#39 JD came in two types: 39N and 39W. These stood for Narrow and Wide, depending on the type JD you had. Assuming you plan on trying it on a New Holland (your profile), don't do it unless its a "N", as the W model has a wider set out shoe (part that rides the ground behind your right rear tire). Check out to make sure the 3 pt hitch will hook up on your tractor as well, as this mower was not designed to be a universal fit. BobG in VA

/ John Deere #39 Sickle Bar Mower #3  
Are you talking about the inner shoe? And does the W version hit the tire so that is why you need a N. Also, is there an easy way to tell if a mower is an N or W? Thanks