John Deere 410D shifter not working

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #1  

dkrider471

Tractor
john deere 410d
I just bought a John Deere 410D Backhoe and when pulling it off the trailer its in a gear, but won't shift to another gear. The clutch system seems to be working when I push the button for the neutral on the shifter it disengages, but won't let me shift into another gear. I also seem to be stuck in the Diff lock as well and cannot disengage it for some reason. Its back towards the seat and will not move for the life of it forward. Any ideas on what I should check and what this could be? The stick on the console for forward and reverse are working fine, but just can't shift the 4 speed. Also, When i turn the wheel to make a turn going forward it seems to keep wanting to go straight for some reason. I'm planning on putting new tires on and hoping that will fix the issue cuz they are getting low on tread and am planning on putting foam filled ones on. Any advice would be great!

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #2  
Can you get us a photo of the parts you mentioned?

Based on our 1983 310B you need to make sure your UTF level is showing on the stick.

Sometimes I have to pull up on the Diff lock to get it to disengage. You will not being steering the sucker if the Diff lock is engaged.

Divide the issues and try to conquer one at a time. :)

New tires will not fix any issues you mentioned.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working
I checked the fluid on the stick and its right where it should be from what I can see. (The one in the cab under the access port in the floor) It does however look old. There are no metal chunks or anything in the oil just has that older color to it. When I try to shift it and watch the linkage it doesn't really move at all. I've attached some images so you can see what i'm talking about. Also I tried what you mentioned about the Diff Lock and still no luck. Tried moving the machine forward and backwards and turning it a few other things to try to get it to disengage and still no luck. Any other ideas?

IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG
IMG_3375.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #4  
I have seen these break shift forks is it stuck in gear? Does the reverser work?

Can you feel it try and go in to gear? If so I'd be looking at the clutch disconnect switch and see if is stuck on.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #5  
You didn't clearly state so am asking, the machine shifted fine before you loaded it onto your trailer to haul it home? You ran the machine in every gear?

Put your stabilizers down and lift the rear tires off the ground. Then work with the shifter and/or Diff Lock. This will relieve any drivetrain stress that might be causing a problem.

For the Diff Lock, let the machine back down on the tires then crawl under the machine and check all the linkage for binding?? May be some damage under there you don't know about.

For the shifting, that's going to be more complicated. I'd want to eliminate all simple solutions first such as relieving driveline pressure by lifting tires off the ground. Also attempting shifting with the shuttle lever in neutral. If you can't stumble onto an easy solution the top of the tranny with shifter will need removed to look for shifting fork problems.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #6  
The first thing I did was found the factory service and parts books for our 310B and they have been worth their weight in gold. In fact just today the three volume set for the 1000 series Ford tractor came today so we can work on our 1966 Ford 3000 diesel or share info with the shop we may be using. Remember typically there are Service , Operators and Parts manuals if you order any so you get the one(s) you intended to order. Our JD used manuals actually had useful service notes written in the margin from when they were in JD shops. They are not cheap but I found it was worth it to be able to do the repair over and over in my mind before laying on the ground trying to do the required tasks to get back to working. Below are just a couple examples from Google search.

JOHN DEERE 41D 51D BACKHOE LOADER REPAIR SERVICE MANUAL TM1513 | eBay

John Deere 41D 51D Backhoe Loader Owner Operator Maintenance Manual OMT152596 | eBay

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #7  
Soon as I buy a new machine I purchase manuals. Especially Service and Operators. I can usually find parts diagrams online if needed.

Sorry I should of specified. The machine has been in I believe 3rd gear since I got it. The guy who I got it off of atleast told me that it was already in gear and that he loaded it onto the trailer like that. I never ran the machine in every gear. I did go and look at it, but when I went to look at it during the time it was during a horrible snow storm so I didn't get to test everything as much as I would of liked. The shifter I believe did move when I looked at it I only tested the gear shifter to move it back and fourth because of the snow storm we had I didn't really get a chance to play to much to test everything. I will try what you said with the rear tires off the ground and let u know if it fixes it. We've been getting a massive amount of rain lately so I haven't even had time to really mess with it because of the downpour we have. Thank you for all your advice I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Hi Gale, I actually just bought one of those from John deer I believe for 165 or something. They are pricey, but well worth it as you said. I usually buy those as well for everything I own. I'll let you know how it works out monday is supposed to be nice so I'll check it then. Thanks a bunch.

Update on my problems. So far I found a few things wrong with the machine such as 2 lines leaking Hydraulic fluid, but thats not a huge problem i've fixed these before. My main problem now is I got the Differential lock to move up and down on the pedal, but still having problems with it not disengaging. I checked the linkage and its all moving, but not disengaging it was extremely stuck and had a **** of a time getting it to move. Anyhow any suggestions on what I can try to get this to disengage because I cannot steer this thing at all the tires turn but it just pushes it straight. As for the transmission I think the fork is jammed which we will be ripping this apart as soon as the weather clears up a little currently having a blizzard.