John Deere 410D shifter not working

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #11  
I bet the shifting part of the diff lock came apart

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working
I bet the shifting part of the diff lock came apart

Are you talking about the linkage or you talking about the actual diff lock in the rear end of the backhoe? It was extremely stubborn to get free. When I used it yesterday I got it to release for about a minute or two and then bumped it with my foot and it went back in. I could actually steer for a minute and actually turned really good when it was out so that definitely is the problem with it. I feel like the linkage isn't fully disengaging it, but can't tell if its just stuck or whats going on with it.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #13  
Are you talking about the linkage or you talking about the actual diff lock in the rear end of the backhoe? It was extremely stubborn to get free. When I used it yesterday I got it to release for about a minute or two and then bumped it with my foot and it went back in. I could actually steer for a minute and actually turned really good when it was out so that definitely is the problem with it. I feel like the linkage isn't fully disengaging it, but can't tell if its just stuck or whats going on with it.
I was under the impression you had freed the linkage up already. But if not I'd be taking it all apart and cleaning it all up and make sure that is not your problem. If it still sticks it is gonna be in the transaxle.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #14  
Most Diff Lock systems are spring loaded. Push the pedal to engage, take your foot off the pedal and the spring mechanism disengages as soon as the diff stress is released. Is your pedal spring loaded? As Chevy mentioned, free up the linkage. Maybe unhook the linkage from the diff lock lever at the rear axle. Then see if the pedal easily operates. If not the problem is linkage, or the above mentioned spring. Sounds like the internal mechanism works fine.

I wouldn't operate the machine until I had this problem corrected.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working
Most Diff Lock systems are spring loaded. Push the pedal to engage, take your foot off the pedal and the spring mechanism disengages as soon as the diff stress is released. Is your pedal spring loaded? As Chevy mentioned, free up the linkage. Maybe unhook the linkage from the diff lock lever at the rear axle. Then see if the pedal easily operates. If not the problem is linkage, or the above mentioned spring. Sounds like the internal mechanism works fine.

I wouldn't operate the machine until I had this problem corrected.

The pedal I believe is spring loaded, but there is no way it will return without a lot of help been using a pry bar to pull it back up its that stiff still. I've coated the **** out of the linkage with PB Blaster and it seems to be helping a lot, but the next step I guess will be to take it all apart and clean everything up. I don't believe there is any issues with the locker in the rear axle I just think the linkage is binding still somewhere and not allowing it to disengage. I'll try what you suggested with taking it apart from the rear axle and see if it operates fine or is still jammed up. I have a feeling its still going to be jammed up so it will need cleaned up even more then I've done with the PB blaster.

/ John Deere 410D shifter not working #16  
On diff lock sticking my guess is PB Blaster hasn't traveled entire length of shaft(key 14) that contacts axle housing or spring(key 16) is broken. For trans not shifting I'll guess metal tab outlined in blue spot welded om shift rail has broken off. I witnessed these tabs breaking off back when I was employed as a JD dealer service manager.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    70.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.5 KB · Views: 79
   / John Deere 410D shifter not working #17  
The pedal I believe is spring loaded, but there is no way it will return without a lot of help been using a pry bar to pull it back up its that stiff still. I've coated the **** out of the linkage with PB Blaster and it seems to be helping a lot, but the next step I guess will be to take it all apart and clean everything up. I don't believe there is any issues with the locker in the rear axle I just think the linkage is binding still somewhere and not allowing it to disengage. I'll try what you suggested with taking it apart from the rear axle and see if it operates fine or is still jammed up. I have a feeling its still going to be jammed up so it will need cleaned up even more then I've done with the PB blaster.

Yep, probably. Let us know what you find. Hoping for a "rust" situation rather than a "broken" situation. :)