john deere 4110 not charging

/ john deere 4110 not charging
im not sure. still looking through the diagrams trying to figure out whats going on. for sure whatever reason the battery light on the dash is not getting power is related to the alt not charging. as far as the diagrams the light is connected to the voltage regulator/ rectifier. this dam toy size tractor is complicated haha

/ john deere 4110 not charging #12  
Here's the Theory of Ops and Charging circuit description. You've stated you checked voltages. Suppose to have 50VAC unregulated out of the alternator and 12.4 to 13.8 Volts DC regulated . What you got?
charge1.JPG

charge2.JPG

/ john deere 4110 not charging #13  
so update. replaced regulator still no charge. found if i unplug the back of the alternator the battery light turns on, plug it in the battery light is off. with alternator unplugged the two wires going to the alternator have 12v but with it plugged in one wire has .5 the other has 4v. those wires come from the regulator. its hard to tell but looking at diagrams its looks like maybe this machine is suppose to have the smaller 20 amp alternator. previous owner said he never could get it to charge, i wonder if someone swapped in the 55 amp? any ideas? the regulator i have when you look for new ones it does say 20 amp on it.

the more i look at the diagrams its making me think this setup is for the 20 amp alt not the 55amp

/ john deere 4110 not charging #16  
I know for my x744 they offered a kit to upgrade to the better alternator.

/ john deere 4110 not charging #17  
The upgrade kit for my x744 comes with the alternator but also a jumper to the solenoid and wires to bypass the regulator. The new alternator must have an internal regulator. In your case, I wonder if someone just bought the better alternator but didn't follow through with the rest of the install?????

John Deere 40 AMP Alternator Upgrade Kit - BM20990

the 55 amp is a completely different wiring diagram its internally regulated. while the smaller alternators have the external

/ john deere 4110 not charging #19  
I just went through issues with my 4100. From my reading, the larger alternator is internally regulated. I suspect on your tractor it is trying to regulate an already regulated power source and not doing well. Probably because the 20 amp alternator is kicking out near 30V to 50V AC to the regulator and the alternator on your tractor is kicking out 14V DC into the regulator. So the regulator probably "thinks" the alternator isn't working. I would swap a 20 amp alternator in and see what it does.