John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #21  
I don't think the LS loader is more powerful than the 400cx....Deere rates the loader 18 in forward of the piviot with a standard bucket.

Speaking of inaccuracies...

Deere rates the loader at both the pins (2,194lbs) and at 500mm (2,339). Even if you count the standard bucket (238lbs), it's less than the LS loader which is 2,638lbs at the pins. The fact that the LS also has 800lbs more breakout force (both measured at the pins) would seem to back that up.

The LS has an indirect injected engine as opposed to direct injected as in the john deere powertech engine.

And yet, the LS still has more power, and PTO power. :eek: You'd rather have less direct injected power than more indirect injected power? This wasn't mentioned before, so I can't see how it would apply to the inaccuracies you claimed.

The JD has glow plugs instead of the preheat of the LS.

This also wasn't mentioned before, so I don't see where it's an inaccuracy like you mentioned, but wow put this on the top of the sales brochure! I only started my LS down into the single digits last winter....maybe somewhere really cold it would matter more.

The JD has 12 gpm of implement hydraulic flow opposed to 8 gpm on the LS.

Again, this wasn't discussed before so I'm not sure how it applies to any previous inaccuracies, but I don't doubt it's correct, and extra flow is certainly a good thing.

I'm sure the LS is a good tractor for the money...but it's no John Deere 4x20.

No, it seems to offer more in many areas.

Seriously, the best anybody can come up with is direct injection, glow plugs, and higher pump flow rates? Is that really worth a nearly 50% premium?

I'm not sure why people get so emotional over this....it's pretty well established that for a given size, and capability, Deere charges the most for their CUTS, and Kubota is second. If someone decides the bells and whistles mean that much to them, that's great, but at least they should realize the areas where they're actually getting less for their dollar, because that might really matter for what they're doing.

The OP doesn't have tractor...maybe he's got some experience, maybe not, but a LOT of people who don't know anything about tractors know Deere and Kubota, so they don't even know to cross-compare with other brands, even if it's just from an awareness standpoint, or potential negotiating material. :thumbsup:

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #22  
I wasn't the one that was claiming inaccuracies. I'm just throwing out some differences that weren't talked about before. What I was trying to say about the loader....the mechanical self leveling have advantages when you look at the 500mm forward of the pin rating, and that is what matters in real world use. It would be interesting to see what the LS is rated at 500mm out. I'm not emotional, I'm just pointing out some of the differences for comparison.
The 4120 has less power of course than the other 4x20's, you can step up to 4720 and get 66hp (58 at the pto I think)
I certainly wouldn't have a problem owning an LS.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #23  
GManBart, calm down. No one is attacking you. This is just a discussion. Not sure why you have to sell your brand so hard????

Normally, human nature being what it is, when someone avidly defends their position so hard it's based on insecurities. Now we've drifted so far that the OP is out of this discussion. We did good huh...... :eek:

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #24  
GManBart, calm down. No one is attacking you. This is just a discussion. Not sure why you have to sell your brand so hard????

Normally, human nature being what it is, when someone avidly defends their position so hard it's based on insecurities. Now we've drifted so far that the OP is out of this discussion. We did good huh...... :eek:

I'm completely calm. I only used LS as an example because I'm more familiar with it. A comparison with a Kioti would be even more lopsided...even more powerful loader and more loader height, similar other specs, but it only has one remote standard, and costs a bit more than LS.

I have nothing to be insecure about. I bought a machine that will do as much (or more) work than the two in question, and used the money saved to buy another tractor, a 90" finish mower, and 6' rotary cutter. :thumbsup:

The OP really hasn't taken part since posing the question.... not all that uncommon. I've said this before, but even if a newly prospective tractor owner has settled on a particular brand, having a hard quote for one of the value leading models from a different brand, with similar performance can be useful in negotiations...it really doesn't hurt to push a dealer to explain where that extra $5-10k is going.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #25  
Does an LS have planetary final drives? Doesn't say on the website.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices
The Deere Sales person speculates that some of the foreign tractor companies may not make the switch to tier IV and so go the way of the dodo bird.

I did notice an LS dealer not too far away. Before I pull the trigger on a purchase I will be sure to test one out and get a quote.

I'm getting frustrated with Deere. The quotes are purposely convoluted. I'll negotiate to a number in one area and just when I think we have a deal they move their numbers up in another area.
Also the quotes between dealers have large discrepancies with layout and price.

I appreciate any and all insights.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #27  
To see if the deere dealers prices are in the ballpark...Go to their website, and do the "build your own" that will give you list price. Then figure 12-18 percent off of that, add in tax and some dealer setup...and that's where the dealer should be.
You never really said what your primary uses are going to be. Then you can decide what features that the various brands have that will be important to you, For instance maybe the self leveling loader of the JD is a "must have",
or maybe the 12 GPM hydraulic flow that the JD has is important, or the John Deere built, direct injected, turbo charged engine is important.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #28  
Yep, I agree with Arlen. Hard to know what exactly is at the top of the importance list if it's a first time tractor purchase. Takes several hours in the seat to figure that out. In the end you're probably going to buy what feels right to you. Very easy to over think the whole process too. Anxious to hear what you decide.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #29  
the LS is more than 8gpm you must add the other pump like JD did.

/ John Deere 4120 V.S. Kubota Grand L4060 w/ prices #30  
the LS is more than 8gpm you must add the other pump like JD did.

The 8gpm was the implement flow for the LS, the Deere has an implement flow of 12gpm approximately.