John Deere 4310 will not start

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #1  

RAHRAH

Hi guys. Im pretty new to the forums here and would like to start with a big thank you for all of yalls help. Some of us are lost without such helpful guidance.
I recently ran my tractor JD4310 out of fuel. Its the first time ive done this in 1100 hrs(roughly, both fuel and hr meter have ceased). Too much to fix the hr meter and havent really checked abt the fuel gauge. I refueled the tractor and couldnt get it to restart. I purged lines for a great while. Finally i decided to ether help it and it will start and run. From my searches i have found that there is a fuel relay that i should hear clicking pretty hard when i turn the key. I can hear the relay working. There is a fuel pickup pump that i have replaced that goes to the bottom side of the block. I replaced this hoping to cure my problems. I hope that i am not left with just the injectors and pump to deal with at this point! I have no idea which direction to turn next, but i definitely do not want my tractor to haveto survive off of ether! What would be my next direction to save this green machine?

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #2  
Definitely don't keep using ether. It's a great way to throw a rod. When you crank over, does it smoke at all?
When you purged the fuel lines, was there a good amount of flow? Did you change the fuel filter? The reason I ask is you may have sucked any garbage/water off of the bottom of the tank.
When you purged the lines, did you bleed the injectors? If not, loosen the injector lines about 1 turn, crank the engine until fuel with very few bubbles comes out. Tighten lines and try starting. Repeat as necessary until it starts.

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #3  
I have ran my 4310 out at least twice. I have never had to crank for more that 25-30 sec to re-fire the tractor. The fuel system is self purging.

/ John Deere 4310 will not start
Theres a decent amount of flow coming from the lines before the injectors. I didnt know before hand that it was self bleeding.
The tractor doesnt smoke though. I have pulled the tractor in the shop and removed the loader and box blade just for the sake of having some room around it. I have a feeling im going to be looking at the injectors and pump. If i have to go that far i would liketo have some experienced hands on deck!

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #5  
Before you get too far, crack the injector line nuts (about 1 turn) and crank over. If the injectors are getting fuel, the fuel should squirt out around the line and nut. If not, you may have a problem with the fuel shutoff. I think this is what you refered to as the relay. Remove the shutoff solenoid from the back of the pump, hook back up to harness, turn key on and see if plunger retracts into the solenoid. If so, it is working, if not there is a problem with the solenoid or electrical circuit to the solenoid.

Thank you sir. I do get to hear the relay operating when i turn the key but thats still no guarantee. Would it even run tho if it isnt working? The tractor runs once its started just doesnt run like i think it should.

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #7  
I have a 1996 John deere with a Yamar Diesel engine. The engine just stopped and will not start. I bled the fuel lines and I took the governor apart to check the spring. The engine smokes will I spin the motor. Everything is good. I still can not find the problem . Can any one help. Thank you for your time and troubles .

/ John Deere 4310 will not start #8  
TheTabe49
Check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. Also check to be sure tank is venting.

Sorry for the long delay but i cant stand it when others dont get back and report what fixed their problems. The tractor sat in the shop for most of the winter. I replaced my injectors and injector pump and got things running like new again. An expensive fixthat could have been prevented by cleaning the tank occasionally as well as the water seperator. Thanks guys for all of your expertice.
Ps. Dont drop the washer off of the injector pump down into the motor. The whole front end must come apart to retrieve a .30 washer.