John Deere 4400 High Rev

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev #1  

68BULLITT

Tractor
'01 John Deere 4400,'12 John Deere 4320
Well here goes my first post on here. I bought a JD 4400 HST back in July, no problems runs fine no smoke etc. Here's my issue. If I overload the FEL and stall the machine is usually when this happens but it exhibited this without that happening on friday. I was hauling firewood up to the house and left the loader level with the top step. I got done loading, went to start the tractor and it wouldn't start. I forgot what I did but then I got it to start. When it started, she revved all the way up to 3k. When I shut the machine every time I always drop the rps as low as she'll go. Usually when this happens I'll shut her down engage the park brake, start it up and it's fine. But this time no matter what she revved up to 3k on startup (tried roughly 3x) and I had the hand throttle all the way back. The machine would not change it's revs regardless of where I put the hand throttle. I started it up tonight and still doing the same thing. Is this a common problem, what should I check for. Thank you all in advance

Lou

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev #2  
Something's wonky in the injector pump. Be happy it is letting you shut down. I wouldn't start it again until you get some expert advice, either here or at a dealer/diesel shop.

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev #3  
I'd check the simple things first to make sure something in the throttle linkage hasn't come loose from vibration. I checked my tech manual for the 4200 - 4400 and it doesn't show the throttle linkage clearly; I would guess there is some sort of throttle linkage adjustment nut at the injector pump that has come loose. If not there, remove the cowling and take a look see. If you take a look closely at this picture of my 4200, you'll see a barrel-nut over the throttle linkage. It's covered in dirt in this picture. https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/JD4200HornAddition#5612570825073265490

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev #4  
Also, look at the linkage of the foot throttle before you go tearing apart anything. Could be something as simple as a branch caught in the linkage.

Since you have a 4400 (I do too, but mine has a reverser transmission), I do suggest you frequently and thoroughly lubricate the range shift lever (where it goes into the transmission case) with Fluid Film. That will keep it easy shifting and lessen any chance of breakage.

Please do let us know what you find...

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev
I finally had a chance to look at the machine. Took off all the cover bits to get to the linkage. Thankfully that's exactly what it was. The throttle lever would let me rev higher, but the lower link back to the injection pump was binding when I wanted to lower the rev. Cleaned it all up, and hit it with some WD-40 now it works just fine. I'll clean it again when I get the chance and hit it with some dry lube so that dust and dirt doesn't cling to the linkage and bind it up again.

Thankfully this deere has given me relatively trouble free operation so far, regularly maintain and lubricate it and she really is a hard working machine. Thank you again guys!

Lou

/ John Deere 4400 High Rev #6  
I finally had a chance to look at the machine. Took off all the cover bits to get to the linkage. Thankfully that's exactly what it was. The throttle lever would let me rev higher, but the lower link back to the injection pump was binding when I wanted to lower the rev. Cleaned it all up, and hit it with some WD-40 now it works just fine. I'll clean it again when I get the chance and hit it with some dry lube so that dust and dirt doesn't cling to the linkage and bind it up again.

Thankfully this deere has given me relatively trouble free operation so far, regularly maintain and lubricate it and she really is a hard working machine. Thank you again guys!

Lou

Outstanding!!