John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #11  
HI, just purchased the tractor from a private owner, ran ok the first day, second day the left cylinder started miss firing and lost it completely, i had spark, fuel, the compression was low so i replaced the head gasket, but it still is missing, starts out ok and after a few seconds starts missing. i am guessing the previous owner may have used 93 octane, where a weak spark would work. it's only one cylinder, so i don't think it sensors, but hoping someone on here would have a better idea instead of parts changing to find out. how does your sons 445 run, any problems?

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #12  
hi, wow, i just purchased this, at second day, left cylinder is missing, maybe koehler was the way to go, the more i am reading the more i see kawasaki liquid is doubtful

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #13  
Well I took the advice of will v and replaced the map sensor and since the air sensor is cheap (at least cheaper than the map) I replaced it and wow what a difference. I was having the stalling and sputtering after warm up. Now smooth as silk. I noticed at idle that it does not hiccup like before and after mowing for 2 hours, absolutely no stuttering or stalling. Thanks for the info. I love this site- It made me feel so good I cleaned her up and gave her a new coat of wax after mowing for the day.

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #14  
i talked to alot of people, all who have a lot of small engine knowledge, they said john deere is the only one that has the equipment to work on the fuel injected, also they seem to try and have a lock on their parts, where everything has to be bought through them. i sent it to the dealer out of frustration, they tried to sell me everything but what i asked for, meaning new blades, new left head, which was fine, spindles, cam, finally they said it looks like the injectors are the issue and THINK that will solve the problem of it running rich

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #15  
Have any of you guys with this similar problem checked out the grounds on your machines. A friend of mine had problems with the left cylinder fouling plugs at first for a period of 2-3 yrs. After that it started getting to the point that raw fuel came out of the exhaust. Dealer had looked at this thing numerous times. Raw fuel symptom was intermittent. Finally he requested that they adjust the valves during one of his "check this again, something isn't right" visits. While performing the adjustment procedure, the tech noticed that a ground wire was loose. Three years later and the '94 445 is still running like a swiss watch. Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 for what it's worth, JW

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #16  
My 485 has same symptons after cutting 15-30 min starts stalling local dealer wasnt able to find problem

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #17  
On x485's there has been more than one complaint of problem related to fuel pressure loss. Seems the small (short) fuel hose between the pump and the nipple at the tank unit cracks or splits. I think you can prove this by checking the fuel pressure at the throttle body. I don't know the factory specs. but I would assume somewhere in the neighborhood of 30psi should be found. If you can install a pressure gauge, the pressure should rise when the key is switched on(no start) and hold at the peak(30psi area) and not drop off for a long period of time(approx. 15 min.) If the pressure fail to hold. You will need to pull the tank unit under the rear fenders and seat to check or replace the hose. Notice the testing before tearing into this. I hate to do repair the aren't needed. Hope this helps you out, JW

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally
My 445 just started doing the similar antics.:mad: I talked to my local JD dealer and they said they have never sold one of those map sensors the whole time they have been open (in any of their multiple stores). He doesn't think it is the problem. Is yours still running properly?

Mine has been running perfectly since I posted this orginally.. I'm certain my diagnosis was correct for the problem I was having (as described in the orginal post)

Will

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #19  
Mine has been running perfectly since I posted this orginally.. I'm certain my diagnosis was correct for the problem I was having (as described in the original post) Will

I have a 445 that is hard to start for some reason.
Then when running it wants to oscillate until I engage the blades. With the load of the blades on it seems to run OK.
I am just starting to try to find the problem.

/ John Deere 445 Stalling, Hesitating, Bogging, Fixed - Finally #20  
Mine has been running perfectly since I posted this orginally.. I'm certain my diagnosis was correct for the problem I was having (as described in the orginal post)

Will

I just read all the posts here and am going ahead with the new MAP sensor and air temp sensor. My 445 runs for a few minutes fine after startup hen starts the missing and carrying on which it used to stop but now does not. Its only got 200 hours but 14 years old bought new. Anyone have the part # for the air temp sensor?
Will, thank you for your efforts and thorough explanations. I do not trust the Deere Dealer enough to take it in as they will begin with a complete service for $500 then call me a week later and tell me it still has a miss and what do I want to do?
I've been over everything a dozen times on this mower, I'm very technically oriented and after all that I concluded it most likely is electronic in nature and started surfing. Noticing one gentleman posted he just went ahead and replaced both sensors, I'm going that route as it is apparent that the MAP is queen bee of the hive so to speak.
Awesome