John Deere 47/54 Impeller and Gearbox Upgrades

/ John Deere 47/54 Impeller and Gearbox Upgrades #1  

CAPT Seabee

Tractor
John Deere 1025R
This is my first post. I've had my 1025R for 8 years and have several attachments that make retired life doable. There is an excellent thread by Superglidesport related to installing the steel impeller. Likewise there is a YouTube video
that depicts the installation of the gearbox to replace the chain drive. I completed both (4 hours) and have a couple recommendations. First, as shown in other posts, a galvanized wire with a crushed eyelet will ensure the pin will not work its way out of the gearbox drive shaft. I used two bar clamps to lift the assembly into place. I've attached the two photos showing the retainer loop and bar clamp use. I do recommend a suitable silicone spray like Gemplers Snow Plow Coating. Although gravel has worn the paint off, it remains rust free during storage by spraying it when you put it up after the season. While I was at it, I put marine grease on the impeller shaft to protect against rust. Good upgrade that I'll appreciate not having to clear out chute clogs as much. Final thought. There's a 47 crowd and a 54 crowd. Mine is a 47. Simple math tells me I'm concentrating 13% more power in the smaller blower path. I've learned to appreciate every bit of it. And no, I've never been restricted in use and appreciate the ability to get into tighter spots like sidewalks. To each their own. Thanks to those who have gone before and helped me with this.

IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg

Last edited:
   / John Deere 47/54 Impeller and Gearbox Upgrades #3  
Good post and welcome aboard!