John Deere 4720 "my first tractor"

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #1  

lectro88

Tractor
Exmark 60" Takeuchi tb-135, Thomas skid steer, Ford 600
Hello all.

I have been a member a long time but not ever said much., I have done pretty much everything with a midsize excavator.
For the record I have been on and off about anything that moves dirt or digs in last 30 yrs as an electrical contractor.
Tractors were not high on that list, most of my tractor time was as a lad in the early 70's on a Ford 600 or the Ford 4000 with a back-hoe attachment with the old 12-14 speed selectOmatic trans.(memory?)
So at 50+yrs old..., I bought "My First Tractor"
Ended up being a 06 4720 with 900 hours and looks like it was kept in the Living Room.
or maybe in a garage with a BMW and Mercedees on either side. (Very Nice)
So my 1st. few hours and learning this thing and wondering what kind of problems are going to arise or what am I going to do wrong.
Highest on that list is probably not run it hard enough. I am not a wide open full throttle operator.
I'm seeing a few quirks and the usual,.. did I buy someone else's problem.
And part of that is normal I'm sure.
I am seeing this tractor seems to pull better the higher the rpm.
For instance, puuting around at 1200 rpm on level ground in Low and starting up a hill or incline, it seems like a stall converter in a hot rod demanding more rpm, gpm and pressure. and when you up the throttle to 1800-2000 rpm everything comes to life.
Now I did not steal this tractor nor was it a "great deal"
on the contrary I feel I paid Premium for it and only because it was in such good shape and Non-Def.
And in addition to that it was a John Deere engine., not a Yanmar or DingDong {lol}
I have nothing against yanmar, it's in my excavator and served me well since 2008.
But John Deere given the choice, I'll take Deere. (Everytime)
Tractor has been sitting about 6 months and had may 1/2"-1" coolant in the reservoir.
Just got tractor home friday and ran several hours over the weekend.
Last service was done by JD at 800 hours and that was 5 years ago, so it's taken 5 years to put 150 hours on this tractor if my research is correct.
Now the things that bother me about the tractor so soon after purchase and my first few hours of seat time.
on the instrument dash I see condensation, not much but a little each time I get the tractor warm, and the temp needle is straight up and it's winter time here not summer.
Yesterday I opened the hood and coolant that I referenced is now gone or empty, was that from sitting so long and I happened to run it enough to make things start moving again.
Then yesterday on 2 different times turn key on and the "click" when you wake it up.
go to start it and nothing dash says Err.
jiggle with it several times and it finally started,. I'm thinking seat switch or some safety somewhere. (maybe me just being new)
Now few more jitters I have.
the low fuel has come on 2 times and I filled it up yesterday and had 3/4 tank and it got the idea it was low in fuel.
and once this starts you can top it off and it will not re-set until you shut it off and re-start.
So the last thing.
Now this is my first 5-6 hours on this unit. "The new buy Jitters"
Went to my neighbors on the road and stretched it legs in High range or 3rd.
Run the rpms up and speedo is in and out and got error code 8

Last thing I adjusted idle down from 1100 factory to 800, and it sounds so much better, but the hydraulics demand an increase for any function.
That's just for sitting there waiting for me to be ready to do my next move, and I don't start, turn off. start... I let it run unless it's a looooong sit.
Now another thing I don't do, is shut anything down after it's been working., even my chainsaws get a few minutes idle before shutting down.
So that's my long winded spill on my new to me and first tractor.
And I will probably keep this as my home page for a while.
Feel free to chime in and tell me your knowledge on the 4720
Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #2  
Hello all.

I have been a member a long time but not ever said much., I have done pretty much everything with a midsize excavator.
For the record I have been on and off about anything that moves dirt or digs in last 30 yrs as an electrical contractor.
Tractors were not high on that list, most of my tractor time was as a lad in the early 70's on a Ford 600 or the Ford 4000 with a back-hoe attachment with the old 12-14 speed selectOmatic trans.(memory?)
So at 50+yrs old..., I bought "My First Tractor"
Ended up being a 06 4720 with 900 hours and looks like it was kept in the Living Room.
or maybe in a garage with a BMW and Mercedees on either side. (Very Nice)
So my 1st. few hours and learning this thing and wondering what kind of problems are going to arise or what am I going to do wrong.
Highest on that list is probably not run it hard enough. I am not a wide open full throttle operator.
I'm seeing a few quirks and the usual,.. did I buy someone else's problem.
And part of that is normal I'm sure.
I am seeing this tractor seems to pull better the higher the rpm.
For instance, puuting around at 1200 rpm on level ground in Low and starting up a hill or incline, it seems like a stall converter in a hot rod demanding more rpm, gpm and pressure. and when you up the throttle to 1800-2000 rpm everything comes to life.
Now I did not steal this tractor nor was it a "great deal"
on the contrary I feel I paid Premium for it and only because it was in such good shape and Non-Def.
And in addition to that it was a John Deere engine., not a Yanmar or DingDong {lol}
I have nothing against yanmar, it's in my excavator and served me well since 2008.
But John Deere given the choice, I'll take Deere. (Everytime)
Tractor has been sitting about 6 months and had may 1/2"-1" coolant in the reservoir.
Just got tractor home friday and ran several hours over the weekend.
Last service was done by JD at 800 hours and that was 5 years ago, so it's taken 5 years to put 150 hours on this tractor if my research is correct.
Now the things that bother me about the tractor so soon after purchase and my first few hours of seat time.
on the instrument dash I see condensation, not much but a little each time I get the tractor warm, and the temp needle is straight up and it's winter time here not summer.
Yesterday I opened the hood and coolant that I referenced is now gone or empty, was that from sitting so long and I happened to run it enough to make things start moving again.
Then yesterday on 2 different times turn key on and the "click" when you wake it up.
go to start it and nothing dash says Err.
jiggle with it several times and it finally started,. I'm thinking seat switch or some safety somewhere. (maybe me just being new)
Now few more jitters I have.
the low fuel has come on 2 times and I filled it up yesterday and had 3/4 tank and it got the idea it was low in fuel.
and once this starts you can top it off and it will not re-set until you shut it off and re-start.
So the last thing.
Now this is my first 5-6 hours on this unit. "The new buy Jitters"
Went to my neighbors on the road and stretched it legs in High range or 3rd.
Run the rpms up and speedo is in and out and got error code 8

Last thing I adjusted idle down from 1100 factory to 800, and it sounds so much better, but the hydraulics demand an increase for any function.
That's just for sitting there waiting for me to be ready to do my next move, and I don't start, turn off. start... I let it run unless it's a looooong sit.
Now another thing I don't do, is shut anything down after it's been working., even my chainsaws get a few minutes idle before shutting down.
So that's my long winded spill on my new to me and first tractor.
And I will probably keep this as my home page for a while.
Feel free to chime in and tell me your knowledge on the 4720
Thanks in advance.

First off I would definitely check into where the coolant is going!! This can cause an expensive breakdown. In regards to electrical gremlins maybe have a look for rodent damage. Trace wires looking for damage as well as evidence of nesting. Just as a start of things to look into.

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #3  
The higher the RPM the more horse power the better it will work.... Yeah the manual on my FF says run at 2800 to 3200 rpm.... But I tend to only apply enough throttle to get done what I need to do.... Guess to many year behind wheel of a car/truck.....

As "loggin" suggests coolant should not be disappearing might be first thing you want to check on.... Might pressure test system to see where coolant goes, hopefully not in crankcase....

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor"
I do not think water is going in crankcase, reason being....
I checked the oil level as soon as I saw the coolant reserve was empty.
2nd... I changed engine oil yesterday just 4 days after getting the tractor home, best I can tell that oil had 150 hours on it and in my opinion was due to be changed. Also that oil,.. if my research is correct has been in tractor for the last 5 years. and the oil was not milky.
It now has fresh T5 Rotella and a Gold napa 7076 filter with hours and date written on white filter with a sharpie(for my records)how I do all my filters.
I'm finding on slewtube that some of these tractors consume a little water, now whether the water pumps are weeping or what is yet to be determined.
I have just glanced at the unit and see no visible signs of any kinds of leaks of any fluids oil or water.
I will post some pic's

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #5  
I have one. I learned a few things coming off a larger machine with the same HP. It just turned 1015 hours and I bought it used 5-6 years ago with 875ish hours.
The JD engine wants to spin at a higher rpm than what I was used to. It also does not like long warm up times. My engine oil was red flagged for fuel dilution. I no longer let it idle warming up for snowblower duty. Maybe 5 mins maximum. I don’t plug it in unless it’s in the single digits and a storm is brewing.

I do have the known antifreeze leak and it’s a pain but I’m not so convinced sending it to the shop for repair is worth the expense. I keep a close eye on the level. I know for a fact it’s not getting inside the crankcase as it puddles on the garage floor.

I’m pretty happy with the size and thrilled with the power on this compact machine. I do have the cab version. Once in a blue moon I get an ERR 04 code. I shut it off and restart it and it’s all “fixed”

I hate DEF machines so when I saw this I jumped on it. The new stuff can be a true nightmare with all the computer controls.

Here’s a few pics.

I know anything can happen to any equipment regardless as to how it’s been treated, or maintained.
But this unit if appearance says anything should have a leg up on “not being abused”

If you look closely at pic #3,. the 3pt hitch area, the inner rim and wheel hub looks like new.
Don't think it's ever seen mud.

Attachments

• 23B19AD2-7031-49B3-858B-02EFAA6EA450.jpeg
    23B19AD2-7031-49B3-858B-02EFAA6EA450.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 932AEFDC-E30C-4875-872A-DB3BF7DB6D1E.jpeg
    932AEFDC-E30C-4875-872A-DB3BF7DB6D1E.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 79
  • FA755A67-31D2-4AAC-BCC2-88E91A7B68C3.jpeg
    FA755A67-31D2-4AAC-BCC2-88E91A7B68C3.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 248D4E89-167C-4084-942D-54A00E9C6BE4.jpeg
    248D4E89-167C-4084-942D-54A00E9C6BE4.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far.
I am not terribly alarmed at this point with the little amount of coolant missing considering I just got it and know it has set around for a while.
Truth be known, like others have said, I can and will keep an eye on it until I know for sure there is a real problem.
For now it's just a raised eyebrow and Keenly Noted.
But I did want to put it out there and see if others had seen diminishing coolant levels and if it was known where it was disappearing to.

and again thanks

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #8  
I have a 05 4320. I had a coolant leak in mine after about 10 years. ended up being the top radiator tank ( the tanks are plastic) has a rubber o ring . And from age it had separated slightly enough that the fan pulled it away from the radiator Making it hard to detect. the fuel sending units are junk on these. I'm on number 4 or 5 right now. as far as lugging down at lower rpm I'd turn on loadmatch !! once you use it you will probably never turn it off !! Love mine . lots of power and has been reliable. The only other issues I have run into are tilt steering won't stay in lock position. and if you happen to burn a turn signal bulb out. the error code will drive you nuts til you replace it lol 😆.

/ John Deere 4720 "my first tractor" #9  
My first tractor:

1675274891291.png

Update;

Well my new "overpriced Toy" has sure got plenty of attention since it's arrival.
As earlier stated it got fresh engine oil and filter.
The coolant issue seems to have leveled out, the reservoir dropped about a 1/4" and is holding fine after a good 10 hours of use.
Now for the lazy hill climbing I mentioned.
Half the trouble was the anti-stall switch on the dash was in the on position.
But talking to my Deere dealer who the entire store crew that's parts and service have been awesome, I know they will take your money, kitty kat & qubueto(love my spelling)will too.
But anyway I checked my aux pressure and it was 2750, so pump seems to be doing it's job,
I was coached to check screen and do a hydro service.
So I took that to it's extreme as I am pretty picky with how I twist wrenches.
Pulled all the inspection plates to look inside housing, it was spotless, the oil did have some debris but color was good at only 150 hours on the oil.
So I elected to strain it and use it and save the $250 (10 gal)worth hygard for next change.
I cleaned plates and painted non-oil contact surfaces, and brushed bolt threads and greased threads(told you I was picky)
The pre-screen was not as bad as I was expecting but carb cleaner made it look new again and I again saved "part" of my $400 inventory that I sprung for on this service note.
Wrote the date and hours on my again triple priced JD filter and spun it on, Wasn't going to skimp here.
So after 6 hours on what should have be 2-3 hours. I had the hydraulics up to what I felt was acceptable to me.
Just simple peace of mind and I did extra steps I couldn't have asked or expected a service guy or shop to do.
I guess the money wasn't reaally that bad considering this is not a real frequent service, I think I will keep a real close eye on this fluid, and be prepared for another strain or complete change in I have been told 2 years, we'll see how my hours go.
Anyway could I tell a difference after all this,.. Absolutely, night and day difference.
Again I think 1/2 of that is peace of mind and knowing what is really in the belly of the tractor.
Now what really prompted all this was I bought a 84" finish mower and the tractor really struggled to pick it up.
Turns out part of that problem was how the previous owner had the mower set up.. it was hanging further away from the tractor so the leverage factor made it seem heavier,.. I have since adjusted and fixed that issue too.
So I had several little quirks and newbie issues going on.
The point is everything has turned out to be fine for now.
And thanks for all the replies.
I have not decided if I am going to keep this thread as my "home page" for this tractor or not, guess it depends on the kinds of issues that could arise in the future, hopefully those will be minimal.
This tractor has found a good home and will live a good life here with me.
It by the way has proven very beneficial to say the least. you guys know how lost you would be without one after having one.
I really don't know how or why I have done so long without one or 2 maybe 3.

thanks again.