Buying Advice John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #21  
Running hotter because of Tier IV should not be a response. They could easily put in a temperature gauge calibrated to run with the needle at the vertical position even with a new thermostat setting. The important thing, however, is that you worked the tractor hard under load and the needle didn't move. That is the best indication there is no problem but there is a lower margin of safety so you might overlook the needle climbing into the red as your radiator begins to get covered with crap from shredding. My Kubota has a LCD bar graph display and it is easy to miss the temp climbing. I have caught myself a couple times with all the bar segments lit except the high temp. They should have a light at that point like in the cockpit of the airliner in Airplane - "A Little Hot". Like when my bar graph on the fuel gauge drops down to 1 segment it changes to Low Fuel. When it drops that last bar it should say "You're Screwed" but instead the engine dies.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #22  
Running hotter because of Tier IV should not be a response. They could easily put in a temperature gauge calibrated to run with the needle at the vertical position even with a new thermostat setting. The important thing, however, is that you worked the tractor hard under load and the needle didn't move. That is the best indication there is no problem but there is a lower margin of safety so you might overlook the needle climbing into the red as your radiator begins to get covered with crap from shredding. My Kubota has a LCD bar graph display and it is easy to miss the temp climbing. I have caught myself a couple times with all the bar segments lit except the high temp. They should have a light at that point like in the cockpit of the airliner in Airplane - "A Little Hot". Like when my bar graph on the fuel gauge drops down to 1 segment it changes to Low Fuel. When it drops that last bar it should say "You're Screwed" but instead the engine dies.

Mine looks just like "YesDeere's" picture. As soon as the needle hits the tip of the red area, the warning light starts blinking on the dash and the LCD states "Hot Temp" if I remember correctly. This only happened to me once when brush hogging and all the air vents got clogged with debris.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #23  
Now this is after roto-tilling for half an hour on my 4310. Just a different beast. I'm glad of this thread for my new attention to the temp.

Attachments

• image-43589490.jpg
    image-43589490.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 214
   / John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #24  
My 2011 4720 runs the same way. I had a 3720 that never went over the middle range and raised the same consern to this site when i first ran my 4720...it seems I got the same answer and "it's normal". i have close to 200 hours and it runs to the hot side but have not had any problems. i did have the red "hot temp" light and "STOP" come on once, but that was my fault due to very clogged radiator and ac units...clean out and it's running fine...the ac was much better after the cleaning as well

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #25  
I used a bottle brush on my fathers 4720 this weekend. Kind of an ill design no removable screens.

/ John Deere 4720 temperature gauge problem #26  
Late post to this thread, but I found it interesting, because my 6310 runs at the same place. Always has. Engine never feels (hands on test) too hot and believe me I have checked it dozens if not hundreds of times. I just never liked how that gauge reads. Makes me nervous.