John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h

/ John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h #1  

mcso 290

Tractor
1955 Ford 640 2004 Kubota bx1500
Looking to purchase one of these tractors in 2wd for mowing around our farm. Farm is leased for soybean and corn but i keep field edges and barn lots mowed. Tractor will mostly be used pulling a 6 ft rotary cutter but also a 6ft tiller and light gardening. Also maybe pulling a tedder or rack in hay field. I am not new to tractors and have been around them and operated them since I was 9 years old. Ran mostly fords on farm before we started leasing. If anybody has any experiense with either of these two tractors let me know what you think.

/ John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h #2  
I test drove both of these tractors a year ago kinda of looking to do the same thing you are talking about. I do like Massey tractors but I was not impressed with this one. I felt like the Deere was the better machine but I do not have "in the field experience" with either tractor. I am also interested to see what responses you get for this one.

/ John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h #3  
Having owned a 2606H Massey, if those were my two options I would go with the Deere. If you consider stepping up to the 2605H, I would go with the Massey all day every day.

Wait, you said 2wd. Scratch what I said above. Go with the Massey 2604H.

Last edited:
   / John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h #4  
Looking to purchase one of these tractors in 2wd for mowing around our farm. Farm is leased for soybean and corn but i keep field edges and barn lots mowed. Tractor will mostly be used pulling a 6 ft rotary cutter but also a 6ft tiller and light gardening. Also maybe pulling a tedder or rack in hay field. I am not new to tractors and have been around them and operated them since I was 9 years old. Ran mostly fords on farm before we started leasing. If anybody has any experiense with either of these two tractors let me know what you think.

I don't have any firsthand experience with any of the Massey-Fergusons made since AGCO bought them out decades ago. This seemed to be about when they went from a major player in the market to an also-ran, at least around here. Despite living in a Midwestern area where agriculture is a huge part of the economy, AGCO/Massey-Ferguson has almost no presence in this entire region. There are only 2 or 3 dealers in a several hour radius. The nearest one also sells New Holland and had about 75 blue tractors on the lot, and only three red ones the last time I was up there. There are dozens of Deere dealers in this region, same for Kubota, CaseIH, and slightly less for New Holland and Kioti.

I have never seen a Massey-Ferguson 2600 series unit in person. I have seen a few 4700s which are larger, fancier tractors. On paper the 2604H is a very basic tractor with a non-synchronized transmission, a two-stage live PTO, a bull gear rear end, and outboard drum brakes. The 2WD 2606H and 2607H are optioned more like the Deere with independent PTOs, synchronized transmissions, and planetary rear ends. I wouldn't have an issue with the 2604's setup based on the paper specs, but do realize it's different than what the Deere offers, so I certainly wouldn't pay similar prices for the 2604H as the 5045E.

I have a 5075E set up the same way you are looking at- open station and 2WD with the synchro transmission. This tractor is identical to a 5045E but with the engine turned up from 50 HP to 75 HP. This is a good, solid, basic tractor that should do what you want to do, and do it well. I have a 6 foot rotary cutter and a 6' tiller as well, the tractor doesn't know either one back there, and a 5045E wouldn't either. However, the tractor isn't so unmaneuverable to make it unusable for running through a big garden, we have about an acre's worth that I work with the 5075E. It's more than powerful enough to plow with a 3 bottom plow (probably wouldn't exceed that with a 5045E) but isn't so unwieldy to not be able to run the two-row cultivator and get into tight spaces. We make hay and it pulls a wheel rake and a hay rack just fine. I also have a loader and handle round bales with mine, and it does a good job at that as well. I certainly would recommend a 5045E based on my experience with the 5075E.

The others I have sat on are the CNH twins, the Workmaster 50/60/70 and Farmall 50A/60A/70A. These are offered in a similar specification as the Massey and Deere. I ended up with a Deere because the tractor was stouter, the dealer had a bunch of them in stock while the CNH dealers didn't, and I ended up paying noticeably less for the green one. Kubota does not make this kind of tractor any longer, they quit making open station 2WD utility tractors with the end of the M40 series.

/ John deere 5045e or massey ferguson 2604h #5  
All of what you just said about the Massey Ferguson 2600H series pretty much sums it up. That series is just like the old school basic tractor of the past that are still to this day plowing gardens, mowing and bailing hay and cleaning up overgrown fields. I bought my 2606 because of those very facts. If you parked it beside a 175 you would see a lot of the same parts still in use. It's a shame Massey doesn't have a better dealer network in the U.S. but I think they're coming back. Agco has a plan and I've seen it in action in my area. We have an absolutely wonderful dealer within 30 minutes of me now. Agco as a worldwide brand is huge! I'm pretty sure they are usually on top of the list of most ag tractors worldwide at any given point in time. Word on the street is they won't stop until they're the biggest in each country. I welcome it. We have had John Deere's (including 4020's) and Massey Ferguson's and the Massey's were just less problematic for us and easier to repair when the time came.