John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #11  
JHL, the temperature sensor is part # RE503242. I have attached pictures.

I do not know what the cold weather switch is. Maybe this is what you are referencing, on the thermostat housing there is a temperature sensor that is connected to a two wire harness that goes to the injection pump; this is the "cold start advance" portion of the system so it starts easier when cold by advancing the timing.

The temperature sensor is easy to replace. If you are quick changing it, you don't have to drain the coolant, just make sure it's not hot at the time. You will want a pan under the tractor to catch the coolant, so as not too have to clean it up.

Hope this answers your question.

Attachments

• temperaturesenor.jpg
    temperaturesenor.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,556
  • RE503242.jpg
    RE503242.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3,254
   / John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #12  
The problem is the thermostor, not thermostat. It is a 3 dollar part soldered in behind the fuse panel. It is a small 3/8" by 3/8" orange wafer with two wires extending out. Many replace the solenoid when it is not the problem.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #13  
Had the same problem I think. Blew the fuse to the solenoid. Replaced it and did it again.
It runs fine without the solenoid temp hooked up.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #14  
The following was taken from the JD CTM125 manual on the 2.9L Engine. Even though the tractor starts-up, I still suggest you replace the sensor.

When coolant temperature is below 122 F, the solenoid valve is activated and opens the cold advance circuit. This directs transfer pump pressure to the cold advance piston, forcing the advance piston to the fully advanced position.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #15  
Sounds like a plan. As soon as I get to town Ill see the JD folks. Thanks.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #16  
Mine is doing the same thing. Never had any trouble before this. Any one got a part # for the thermostor? Maybe a picture of it?

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #17  
You might want to look at thread #11 of this post for part # and picture,

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #18  
I was talking about the orange 3/8 piece that was mentioned earlier.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #19  
The problem is the thermostor, not thermostat. It is a 3 dollar part soldered in behind the fuse panel. It is a small 3/8" by 3/8" orange wafer with two wires extending out. Many replace the solenoid when it is not the problem.

Does anyone have a part # for this? Does it have to be soldered in?

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #20  
I had this timing advance sensor shorting out my fuse. I measure it to be about 1ohm. Bought a new one. Guess what...it measures 1 ohm also. My guess is the short is occurring not between the two leads, but to the brass housing which connects to the chassis.