John Deere 5200

/ John Deere 5200 #1  

fred122696

Tractor
John Deere 5200
I just bought a 5200 with 820 hours on it. Does anyone have any advice on care/maintenance etc. I am new to caring for a deere!

Fred

/ John Deere 5200 #2  
I have only seen one 5200, but it seemed every much like my 5210. A lot of this you may know already, so just skip those parts. I would get the owners and technical manual, if you do not have them, URL provided. If you do not know when the oil and oil filter was changed, change it. If you do not know when the fuel filter was changed, change it. Insure the tank is full and fill the new fuel filter before putting on. You will need the owners manual just in case you need to bleed it. Open up the sediment drain valve at the bottom of the fuel tank. I have included the URL for JD parts, if you look up fuel tank, you will see where the drain valve is. You might ask others, but consider changing the hydraulic fluid, filter and pickup screen, if there is one it is back by the PTO shaft. When I did mine, I replaced the O-rings. Check/change the air filters. Grease it. If you have MFWD change the hub and axle oil. You might consider putting JD fuel additive in it. This stopped all my smoking at startup and it starts now with just the flick of the key. Clean up the battery and ground to frame, my temperature gauge was bouncing around until I did this. The 3 rd URL you will want to sign up for. It gives you part cost and availability. 4 and 5 th URLs are an FYI. It is a known problem that the fuel cap leaks, 6 URL. If you have MFWD with the clutch in and just a little roll it goes in and out a lot easier. I included a few other sites you might find interesting. You might consider posting a picture. Be safe and have fun!

Operator's Manuals for John Deere Equipment
John Deere - Parts Catalog
https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned
Instrument Panel Fogs Up : Fog forms inside instrument panel on some 5000 series tractors, making it hard to read gauges
Front End Noise : Gear backlash causes noise on 5000 series tractors
Leaking Fuel Cap : Solve a leaky fuel cap on some older 5000 series tractors
Fastline.com tractor prices
Machinefinder.com tractor prices
Tractordata.com specs on tractors
Tractorhouse.com tractor prices

/ John Deere 5200 #3  
Two more things. You need to be completely stopped before putting it in park. John Deere seals some coolant strips, to test the coolant before considering change it.

/ John Deere 5200 #5  
Please find attached the page from the tech manual on this. Also consider purchasing the tech manual from selectmanuals.com for $34.95.

What problem are you experiencing?

Attachments

• bleedbrakes.pdf
    80.7 KB · Views: 377
   / John Deere 5200 #6  
Please find attached the page from the tech manual on this. Also consider purchasing the tech manual from selectmanuals.com for $34.95.

What problem are you experiencing?

Thank you for the manual information. . . the user manual that came with the tractor simply said 'see your JD dealer', which is not an desirable option for me.

This is the second time in about 2 years that the brakes just locked up hard.
The first time it happened a mechanic came out and bleed the brakes with just an open-end wrench, which took him about 2 minutes.
Actually, I drove it yesterday (trial run before trying to bleed the brakes) and they worked just fine.
Got any ideas why it healed itself?

/ John Deere 5200 #7  
JD 5000 series tractors have a history of the brake disc pull off springs weakening causing brake drag. Ultimate solution is R&R rear axle housing to exchange the springs.

/ John Deere 5200 #8