John Deere 535 Round Baler

/ John Deere 535 Round Baler #1  

tmurray

Tractor
John Deere 4020
I have a John Deere 535 Round Baler. It bales good for awhile and then breaks the baler pickup chain. When I replace the chain with a new one it is too short unless I add a half link. This leaves the chain with too much slack in it and it jumps a cog once in a while on the sprocket, which eventually leads to more chain breaking. There doesn't seem to be an idler tensioner on this chain. What should I try?

/ John Deere 535 Round Baler #2  
Sounds like the sprockets are wore out.

/ John Deere 535 Round Baler #3  
G'day don't know that model in particular but iwould be verysurprised if here was not some sort of adjustment, maybe an idler is missing is there any way of getting a look at a parts book to see what should be there? If you have an owners manual then it should tell you how to adjust the chain, hopefully someone here can help with either if you have not got them:)
Oh and by the way WELCOME to TBN

Jon

/ John Deere 535 Round Baler #4  
I have a John Deere 535 Round Baler. It bales good for awhile and then breaks the baler pickup chain. When I replace the chain with a new one it is too short unless I add a half link. This leaves the chain with too much slack in it and it jumps a cog once in a while on the sprocket, which eventually leads to more chain breaking. There doesn't seem to be an idler tensioner on this chain. What should I try?

it should have an idler .it could be a bearing or cam problem. take the chain off and rotate the pick up and see if it binds.one of the cam bearings may be out.