John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls.

/ John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls. #1  

eyalahav

Tractor
John Deere 5400. Case 2290 (1983) Caterpillar D4 (1942)
Subject:
Technical assistance required.

The tractor:
Is a John Deere 5400 Tractor, Serial No.: 5400542074 Engine Model 3029TLV01
Engine Serial No.: 3029247613 Year of manufacture: 1996. Made in USA.
9 Forward and 3 Reverse gears.

The problem:
While driving, the tractor stops spontaneously as if the brakes of both wheels where locked simultaneously.
There is a sound of 鼎LACK as if something locked, the engine stalls and stops.
If the driver presses the clutch just in time to stop the engine from cutting out, without touching the gear lever, the driver can release the clutch and continue driving as if nothing happened until next time it suddenly happens, again and again.

The gearbox was opened and checked, no mechanical damage was found, no metal shavings found in the oil, or in the oil filter.

Can you help us solve this problem please?

My grandfather once had a Mule that did something similar, but grandpa he knew how to fix that.

Best regards, John Murphy, Engineering Services.

/ John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls. #2  
Subject:
Technical assistance required.

The tractor:
Is a John Deere 5400 Tractor, Serial No.: 5400542074 Engine Model 3029TLV01
Engine Serial No.: 3029247613 Year of manufacture: 1996. Made in USA.
9 Forward and 3 Reverse gears.

The problem:
While driving, the tractor stops spontaneously as if the brakes of both wheels where locked simultaneously.
There is a sound of 鼎LACK as if something locked, the engine stalls and stops.
If the driver presses the clutch just in time to stop the engine from cutting out, without touching the gear lever, the driver can release the clutch and continue driving as if nothing happened until next time it suddenly happens, again and again.

The gearbox was opened and checked, no mechanical damage was found, no metal shavings found in the oil, or in the oil filter.

Can you help us solve this problem please?

My grandfather once had a Mule that did something similar, but grandpa he knew how to fix that.

Best regards, John Murphy, Engineering Services.

Make sure that the fuel delivery to the injector pump is not impaired. The typical diesel fuel delivery system consists of a fuel tank with a strainer and shutoff valve at the tank outlet, a fuel filter, a lift pump (not all have this component), fuel injection pump, fuel injectors( one per cylinder.), a fuel return to tank line and the various hoses and tubes to connect the elements of the fuel delivery system.

Often times when the fuel system has restrictions from pinched fuel lines, clogged tank strainer, clogged fuel filter, clogged lift pump filter, etc, the engine will run at part power until higher loads are encountered in which case it will run down to a lower rpm., or it may quit altogether is the load increase is large.

My advice is to thoroughly checked for adequate fuel delivery to the injector pump, starting at the tank and working toward the injector pump .Fuel tank strainers can restrict the out let, a blocked fuel vent( usually in the fuel cap) can cause this as will blockage in any of the filters in the circuit. Pinched or damaged lines can also cause these problems. In cold weather, ice from moisture in the fuel can accrete on the fuel filter and if summer grade fuel is used, fuel gelling can occur.

/ John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls.
Thanks Jerry.
A fuel problem will not cause a sudden locking of both rear wheels and the instant relief just by pressing the clutch.
It is probably something mechanical in the Drive Train of the tractor.
But what?
Best regards, John Murphy.

/ John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls. #4  
I don't know a lot about this but I had a somewhat similar issue on my 5520 a while back.

Somehow. the hydraulic outlets are related to the braking function. I was having a brake problem that included, among other things, the brakes stopping instantly or not stopping at all. I went nuts trying to figure it out. I had no hydraulic squeals so I didn't even go there. It turns out that one of the hydraulic levers was stuck by a miniscule amount, not enough to make a noise, and that was influencing the brakes. Took the dealer all day to figure it out and we discovered it by accident.

Just a thought here and offered since you are grasping at straws .

/ John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls. #5  
Thanks Jerry.
A fuel problem will not cause a sudden locking of both rear wheels and the instant relief just by pressing the clutch.
It is probably something mechanical in the Drive Train of the tractor.
But what?
Best regards, John Murphy.

Are you saying the rear wheels lock up first and then the engine stalls?

You're sure it's not the other way around? A stalled engine, if left in gear and if the clutch is not depressed, will lock the rear wheels if the vehicle speed is not great since the wheels are turning a dead engine. Depressing the clutch quickly removes the engine load and that allows the engine to recover.

You are apparently saying that something is applying a load to the driveline sufficient to stall the engine.

I believe your brakes are mechanically actuated so I doubt they can apply any driveline load without stepping on the brake pedal. Are you using the correct rear axle/hydraulic fluid. It has friction modifiers in it to allow the wet brakes to operate correctly.

Wheel bearings, when failing, can sometimes lock up and then release. I suppose any bearing in a driveline can do the same. Never heard them causing an engine to stall, however.

When you get it fixed, please let the forum know what you find.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5400 Tractor (1996) stops and engine stalls. #6  
I think I would put the tractor on stands and run it in gear to see if the wheels lock up. If it does I would start looking at the rear axle and brake disks first. I would think that if one wheel locks up the opposite wheel should still turn. If both wheels lock up that might point to the transmission and drive line as the culprit. Have to start somewhere and that is what I would do.