John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines

/ John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines #1  

Farmer28

Tractor
John Deere 5410
First time posting, its pretty embrassing but I put accidentally put gas in our diseal John Deere 5410. I emptied the fuel tank and going to replace the fuel filter. Ive never bleed out the fuel lines before, couldnt find any youtube viedoes on it. Was wondering can anybody tell me how to do it, walk me though it, maybe a youtube viedo or something (I'm more of a visual learning) Thanks in advance.

/ John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines #2  
How long did it run with the gas in it? If gas got in the injector pump and to the injectors you will need to remove the lines from the injectors and turn it over until the gas is out and you are running clear diesel. The other option is to remove all the fuel lines and purge. I've never done that but I have run mine out of fuel a few times and hd to crack the lines at the pump to get fuel to the pump.

/ John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines
It ran for about 15-20 mins.

Thanks for the advice

/ John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines #5  
A little more is involved, since you had to empty the tank. Here is what I would do; 1) Fill the tank full of new fuel; 2) At the fuel filter disconnect the line from the tank and leave off until fuel runs out. This will wash out the line a little and get the air out of the line from the tank; 3) Fill the new filter before putting it on; 4) From follow the manual, if you do not have the manual post back and I will supply you with the page; 5) Set the throttle about a third of the way up, when starting.

I would also do what Workonit suggested. Along with cleaning out the return line.

I hope the gasoline did not damage the engine.

/ John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines #6  
I've never done that but I have run mine out of fuel a few times and hd to crack the lines at the pump to get fuel to the pump.
Loosening fuel lines at pump instead of injector is incorrect. When loosening lines at pump if air is in system then air will remain in lines. On some plunger type injector loosening line & not holding fitting secure on pump can affect inj pump calibration. Correct method is loosening lines at injectors.

I agree with JD5210 that filling fuel tank with diesel helps make bleeding air out of fuel system easier. On tractors that are difficult to bleed out the air I utilize ""short/low pressure compressed air bursts"" aimed in fuel tank neck with opening blocked off with shop towel to help get diesel to inj pump.

Last edited:
   / John deere 5410 how to bleed fuel lines #7  
Jim, I appreciate the response. I know I do many incorrect things to remedy situations I get myself into. This is one of them. I was simply stating what worked for me on my old 5310, not necessarily that it was correct. I'm amazed at the replies to threads on here sometimes. Most times the OP has no idea what to do based on the contradicting advice they receive. I attempt to not do that. I weigh in when I have specific knowledge of something and in this case no one had responded so I did that. I probably ran my 5310 out of fuel 4 times or so and the method I stated worked for me. I was shown that method by someone who should have known what he was doing from his years of diesel mechanic work but obviously didn't. Obviously prior to that statement I told him the correct thing to do.

And yes, as 5210 stated, there was more to purging the fuel that should have been added but honestly, cleaning the gas out of the rest of the system should be a given.

15 to 20 minutes is quite a while to run gas in a diesel. I sure hope the engine isn't damaged. What did it do that let you know something was wrong. I don't think I've ever experienced one run on just gas before.

Thanks for the tips. I ran it for 15 or so mins, brought it back to the farm, parked it and shut it off. Then about 10 mins later my brother tries to start it but it wont start, so he calls me and thats when I realized my stupid mistake. Hope it didnt damage the engine either. If it did, it'll be a expensive mistake. Sure wont do that again!

I'll find out soon enough when I get on the gas out of the system, replace fuel filter etc. But just out of curiosity do you guys think it would of destroyed the whole engine and the tractor is finshed. Or do you think its more likely just needs new fuel injectors or pump? Which those aren't cheap either. Idk just kinda wondering what kind of damage to aspect

Update bleed out the fuel lines, replaced filter, add diseal, etc. Once we manual pumped the fuel though the lines and got all the air out and had a steady stream of fuel going into the injectors, we reattached the line and it fired up just fine and has been running fine, thank God! Hopefully will continue to run good. Thanks for the tips and advice