Oil & Fuel John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #11  
A dealership here locally was able to supply a copy just last week, however, the copy I received (down at the very bottom) lists several models that the addition of a fuel pump is not a correct solution. They stated that the addition of a fuel pump is not applicable with straddle mount and narrow tractors including the 5425.

Actually, the list of models it says at the bottom are those models for which this is a solution. It also lists several search terms that are applicable for finding this solution in dealer's DTAC. The only 5425 models that this solution wouldn't apply for are straddle and narrow models. If your 5425 is a cab tractor, this solution applies to you.

IMPORTANT: Installing an electric fuel pump is not feasible for Straddle Mount or Narrow Tractors. Instead, check for any leaks, loose clamps, restrictions, and pinched fuel hoses. Also inspect the fuel strainer, the check valve, and the fuel filter primer assembly's plugs and diaphragm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5101E, 5625, 5083E, 5603, 5425, 5093E, 5525

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HESITATE, PERFORM(ANCE), PRESSURE, PERFORM, PUMP, INSTALL, BROKEN, ERRATIC, CHECK, JETTING, MISFIRE, START, LOSS, FILTER, LOOSE, CHARGE, BIND, BENT, FUEL, FLOW, LEAK, SEAL, RESERVOIR, RATE, HOSE, LEAN, LOCK, FAIL, ALTITUDE, LINE, VENT, LOW, NOZZLE, FLOAT, GASKET, KIT, INJECTION, IDLE, FIT, TRAC FA, FA, F0600

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems
It's a straddle mount. I should have been more clear in the description.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #13  
This has got to be frustrating. Somewhere there's got to be a leak allowing air into the line allowing the fuel to go back into the tank. Injector pump doesn't pump air very well. Are the individual cylinder lines having to be bled? Or just the screw by the injector pump?

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #14  
Hi Dorie, Is your 5425 a straddle mount? They are made in three configurations. Straddle mount(when sitting on tractor your feet actually straddles a hump in floor), IOOS, that stands for isolated operator station(flat platform with no hump), and a factory cab option. The fuel pumpp solution is designed for the cab and IOOS since the tank sits lower and is more prone to this problem. There is absolutely no reason not to install the pump on a straddle mount if you are having a problem. You would need to change the pump mounting since there is not enough clearance to install it as instructed in solution.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #15  
help! i have the 5425 deere with air getting into the fuel. Engine runs erattic and belches white smoke. Idles irregular. loses power. I can see oil leaking out of the seperator at the top. Ive installed new canister and seals, still leaks. Cant get any help from Dealer.......not really interested in my problem. any body know of a fix?
thx

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #16  
help! i have the 5425 deere with air getting into the fuel. Engine runs erattic and belches white smoke. Idles irregular. loses power. I can see oil leaking out of the seperator at the top. Ive installed new canister and seals, still leaks. Cant get any help from Dealer.......not really interested in my problem. any body know of a fix?
thx
Start by replacing your fuel lines. Don't know where Deere gets its fuel line, but it only lasts about 5-7 years. Tie or tape some new line to the old one to pull it through but you might have to drop the fuel tank. I used a small pallet and a floor jack. Have someone to help shore it up while you pull the line. You will need to do a complete fuel line bleed. Read your manual. You can take the manual fuel pump apart and clean any debris out of it. Make sure the rubber is still good, if not, replace it too. Charge the battery good the night before as you will do a lot of cranking. I don't know why you would have oil coming out of what separator? Can you explain further?

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #17  
The 5425 has a water seperator/fuel filter unit on the right side of the engine. Fuel comes out of the tank, thru a regular fuel filter, then into the water seperator/final filter. The design of this seperator is terrible, cant get the canister on tight, seal leaks, etc. I had previous problems with one and had to "tinker" with it for days to get it to seal. Ive ordered a complete canister unit that includes all new seals, etc, and will try it. Deere dealer admits its a poor design, but wont offer any suggestions other than to rreplace the whole unit. Ive had other problems with this tractor also, and will try a different manufacturer next time. This is my first and last Deere. Dealer help is non-existant.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #18  
If its like the one on our 5420, our dealer kept replacing it at a cost of about $50 everytime we took it in the shop for an oil change or whatever.

I found that it can be easily cleaned as long as the rubber in it is still pliable and not cracked. Any crack and just throw it away.

/ John Deere 5425 Need Help..Starting Problems #19  
I believe the 5420 is different than yours. Is yours like this?
LVP8224________UN16NOV07.gif