Buying Advice John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N

/ John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N #1  

fleminj2pa

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 John Deere 2520; 2012 Kubota L5740 HSTC; 2012 Kubota M7040 HDC; 2012 John Deere 4720 Cab (SOLD); Cat 247B Multi Terrain Loader
I'm looking for input on the difference in capabilities between the JD 5525 and 5525N. I need a tractor that will handle a 3 box, Kasco Eco Drill on hilly terrain more comfortably than my JD 4720 will. The drill weighs about 2000+ lbs. when loaded with seed and tends to overwhelm the 4720 on sideslopes...as in, it will pop the uphill rear off of the ground if you try to lift it for a turn. Not fun! I'm fairly certain the 5525 will handle this implement with no problem but I found what appears to be a very good deal on a super clean 5525N and I'm not sure about the Narrow Profile, High Clearance configuration in relation to my primary issue. Does anyone out there have familiarity with these models and have an opinion about the N series tractor's ability to get the job done...without ending up on the cab roof? Also, I am finding the 5525's with companion seats which would come in handy for training purposes and so far, I have not found the N tractor with this feature. I'm assuming the narrow profile precludes the jump seat...can anyone confirm that for me? Thanks, in advance!

/ John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N #2  
Don't have specific experience with that model, but a narrow track machine with a high center of gravity will probably be no better than what you have, even though it's bigger and heavier. In fact, it could be more prone to rollover than your 4720.
There's no doubt that the larger tractor would handle the drill easier, but I would stay away from the narrow style machine.
Something else to consider, I found that the current 5M series weren't much more expensive than a used 5x25. I looked at a bunch of them before I bought my 5085M.

/ John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N #3  
I agree with Bigfoot62, narrow is not what you want for side hills. The only reason to get one is if you narrow rows an in blueberries, grapes, orchard, etc.
When the 5M series came out I thought the 5X25 series prices would drop lower, but not the case.

/ John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N
Thanks, guys! I was concerned that the N series would not solve the problem. Another question I have relates to tractor weight...most of the listings I have seen indicate an operating (unballasted) weight of 7385 lbs for the 5525. That is another consideration for me since I do transport the equipment frequently in the course of my commercial food plot work. I will haul on a 16,000 lb. trailer with a payload of 13,000 lb. I want to get the biggest tractor possible, staying within that limitation. This is my first foray into the upper horsepower ranges of the utility tractor lines so I am not well versed in all past and present model numbers while searching for available units. Any other suggestions you may have would be welcome!

/ John Deere 5525 vs. 5525N #7  
Just something to keep in mind, concerning the tractor weights. Published weights are not only unballasted (as you said), but also do NOT include the weight of any attachments. (like a FEL)
Example: My 5085M is supposed to have an operating weight of about 8000#. That doesn't include the FEL, or most likely, the radial tires. As mine sits, it's more like 10K. Hang my Kuhn hay mower on the back, and I'm looking at roughly 12K.
You get the picture.