John Deere 650 fries fusible link

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #1  

tbaker4

Tractor
John Deere 650, Ford 2N
Hello, I have a John Deere 650. It is a 1986 tractor, engine model # 2T80UJ. The tractor wouldn't start. Nothing. No lights. Discovered the fusible link in the circuit near the starter was cooked. Assumed the starter was bad. Replaced it, as well as the fusible link. The moment I touched the positive battery cable to the battery post, I smoked the new fusible link. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Thanks for your help.

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #2  
I'm unable to scan the entire wiring diagram but I think it would be cost effective to purchase a tech manual and a VOM. Both will prove invaluable maintaining your 650. Sounds like you have a really nasty short circuit and it shouldn't be hard at all to find it.
View attachment Scan 1.jpeg

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #3  
One thing you can do is get a test light (any auto parts about $5) and connect it between disconnected battery cable and battery post or in direct path where fusible link "was"... If light comes on you have a short somewhere in electrical system,... Try disconnecting various electrical items till light goes out, last item disconnected as light goes out is probably faulty....My first guess would be alternator regulator.... Check anything that is in direct circuit to battery, any thing controlled by ign switch or light switch is probably not going to be a problem...

2700449466_c7ca691904_z.jpg

I have all sorts of meters, digital and analog and this is first and simplest tool for trouble shooting for me....

Dale

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #4  
You could also find out how many amps the link is and substitute a circuit breaker for it until you find your problem. Blowing a new link would make be loose a nights sleep!

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #5  
tbaker4, check your messages

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link
Thanks!

/ John Deere 650 fries fusible link #7  
On the way