John Deere 650...gift from my father in law

/ John Deere 650...gift from my father in law #1  

Grants351

Hello all. Well I just found out that my father in law just bought a new tractor and bush hog. He said I could have his JD 650 when he found something new. Besides it being in Florida, and me being in Illinois is the only hold up. Anyway, I was in the market to buy a tractor of my own. But this deal seems a lot sweeter than me. The tractor is an 1988 model. it has a FEL, a 70 model I think. I'm curious about a few things. It has R3 turf tires. I would like to possibly change those over to R4's. Maybe r1's but I think that will be of too much expense due to a rim change. Any suggestions? Does anyone know that size? Another questions....I know the 4wd wont disengage. The lever just moves back in forth. Does anyone know about a fix for this. Is it a split the tractor in half? Just a simple pin in the lever? Any ideas, suggestions, help? Thanks again..GK

/ John Deere 650...gift from my father in law #2  
Man, what a sweet deal! And a great F-i-L too!!! I would be on the road this weekend to go get that jewel before he changes his mind and sells it!!! I've had two of the 750's and they were both great tractors that gave me excellent service. But, you probably already know that the 650 is a great subcompact tractor.

As for changing the tires, tractordata lists the sizes for the ag tires below, which is what you want to change over to. They don't give the sizes for the R4 rims, but you can call your FiL and get their sizes. For what you will have in the tractor moneywise, it will still be a good deal for you to buy new R1 rims & tires. That would be your decision, of course.

I can't help you with the other question about disengaging the 4x4. Maybe someone else can answer it. Good luck. Post some pictures when you get it home!

TractorData.com John Deere 650 tractor information

/ John Deere 650...gift from my father in law #3  
Years ago I had a 650 with agg tires & a set of homemade pallet forks & 4' bush hog & loved it!
I used it to clear 2 acres of heavily wooded land when I bought my 2nd home.
I was impressed at the power & versatility of a tractor that small and it was totally bullet proof & consumed very little fuel.
I now have a Ford 1720 that I installed a turbo on with quite a few attachments but I would love to get that little tractor back.
Your post is the first I've seen regarding the JD 650, good luck & enjoy it!

Tim

/ John Deere 650...gift from my father in law #4  
Congratulations ! That's a great piece of equipment , for the tires you require check the salvage yards, like Mcgrew Tractor in Indiana

/ John Deere 650...gift from my father in law
I just looked at McGrew tractor parts. They claim to have some rear tires that will fit a JD 650. They claim they are 9.5x16 R1's. I dont think that is the correct size, sounds like something that would go on my JD 455D lawn mower.