Dirt Moving John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded?

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #1  

johnpdo

Tractor
John Deere 4610 and a 1960 Porsche Super
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. Been lurking for awhile, and realized this is the place to be.

I have a JD 660 tiller. Not sure what year, but the problem is the jackshaft moved out lateral and the chain wore a hole through the cover before I could stop it. I took the gearbox off the tiller, along with the jackshaft and sleeve that covers it. I was going to tear into it, but decided to take it to AgPower in Richmond, MO. They seem like knowledgeable guys, and took my JD 4610 there for some maintenance issues, to boot.

My question: Should I braise or weld the hole/slit shut? It is separated about 3mm in the widest spot. I can push it down and tack it, but filling it in is going to be a bit of a chore. It'll look sloppy, I'm sure, but some green paint will help. Also, does the jack shaft travel laterally any once it gets put back together? When I took it off, I could pull it right out of the gearbox, so I'm thinking a nut came loose on the inside of the gearbox, and allowed it to move laterally and destroy bearings, etc.

I'll attach a couple of pictures, sorry about the mess. I am having to install a new barn door (don't ask, but it'll be a 10 x 10' door, instead of 8 x 9).
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20181102_192311.jpg
    20181102_192311.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
  • 20181102_192323.jpg
    20181102_192323.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
   / John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #2  
:welcome: to TBN

Likely that cover isn't designed to hold that shaft in place. Best to find the parts diagram and see what is apparently missing and correct that.
Then maybe can get a new cover or do the repair on this one.

Keep us posted as to what you find out.

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #3  
Welcome. You will need to get all the oil off before proceeding. A good brazing will hold it, but welding could be stronger. I'm just worried about the welding might draw it up out of shape, not wanting to fit or be flat on the gasket face.

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded?
:welcome: to TBN

Likely that cover isn't designed to hold that shaft in place. Best to find the parts diagram and see what is apparently missing and correct that.
Then maybe can get a new cover or do the repair on this one.

Keep us posted as to what you find out.

Found the diagram. There is a nut on the inside with a washer that holds the jackshaft into the housing. I took the whole gearbox/jackshaft as one piece to the JD dealer for them to deal with. I didn't want to have to pull bearings. Know it will cost me a bit, but worth it knowing they do good work and it'll get done right.

Looks like brazing is the best idea. The cover only needs to hold oil in, like a valve cover, so no pressure sensitive area or worry. Just got to make it oil/water tight. I'll post pictures when I get further along.

Thanks!

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #5  
I have sealed many tractor fuel tanks in a pinch with jb weld. I would be temped here

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #6  
Yes, it can be welded. I bought one with the same damage ( a howard HR8 ) and the cover welded just fine with .035 flux core wire. Not much trouble to put the cover back into position, welded and ground the welds smooth. Made a new cover gasket. I understand that the same contractor that makes Howard is the contractor that made the 660 for John Deere, a quality product. The replacement tines for both tillers are the same part #. When doing the repairs to the cover, I replaced all of the bearings. Never had a problem with it after the repair. It was well worth fixing because I bought it with the broken cover for $100, just sold it after 12 years of use and 2 tine set changes for $1000. If you have access to a small wire feeder that can run .035 flux core wire, should be able to do that job without much trouble. Make sure that when you place it back into operation, you adjust the slip clutch, the damage on mine was caused by a improperly set slip clutch.
Chris

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded?
After making the chain cover pretty, the JD dealer says the gearbox housing and parts are trashed. To replace it is 2-3000 in parts/labor. Jeez. Anyone know where to look for a gearbox/jackshaft cheaper than that? I can buy a new off brand tiller for that much money.

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #8  
After making the chain cover pretty, the JD dealer says the gearbox housing and parts are trashed. To replace it is 2-3000 in parts/labor. Jeez. Anyone know where to look for a gearbox/jackshaft cheaper than that? I can buy a new off brand tiller for that much money.

Try surplus center. They don't always have what you need, but it comes and goes as they buy excess stock from manufacturers.

Surplus Center

/ John Deere 660 Tiller Chain cover -- is it able to be welded? #9  
You've got two threads going on the same subject.