john deere 770?

/ john deere 770? #11  
If you have the R1's (Ag tread), the narrow fronts will tear up your sod. I know from experience. I switched to turfs and haven't had any problems. I do garden tilling, light excavating, and lawn prep. I drive over customers lawns all the time and have never had a complaint. The 770 is way too light with turfs or R4's to cause problems. My rear finish mower is more likely to cause soil compaction or ruts. In fact, if it's damp my neighbor's commercial ZTR make's worse tracks than my 770.

I have a rear finish mower and there are times cutting around trees and the like that I wish I had a mid deck. But, like JDGreenGrass I don't have a mid-PTO so it's not really an option. There are some advantages to the rear deck like I can back the rear mower into/over areas that I could never get a mid mower. Plus, it would be hassle to take a mid-mount off so that I could do other things besides mow.

/ john deere 770?
Yeah, I have a mid pto and turf's. I love the tractor and its in excellent condition with 4 wheel drive. I love the machine and its power. its better than my 755. I love it too, but its a new aquisition and I might flip it for money.
Hey, anyone out there want to buy my 1999 455 hdyro with 60 inch deck and 40 loader? it didnt sell on ebay and it only has 415 hours on it. My dad purchased it new in 2000 as a left over. 2wd and hydro trans and deck. loader and mowing what else could you want. It is for sale, broomall, pa. 19008. thanks all.

/ john deere 770? #13  
You will love the 770. When you are mowing just leave the 4WD off and you should not hurt the lawn. Just make sure you don't always mow on the same path and you won't have to worry about ruts.

/ john deere 770? #14  
Hello folks,
I am new here and I just purchased a used jd 770 4wd from a nice old farmer in va. its a 1993 model with 760 original hours on it. it was a barn kept machine and is very clean. no rust anywhere really and all the metal is tip top. new seat and serviced prior to pickup. its just the machine and no attachments and I paid $5000 for it. Did I get a deal? Machine is absolutely fantastic and runs so nice. I cant stop wiping it down and it now sits in bay 1 of my three car....the **** with the chevy.
Also, anything I should be aware of with this model? I plan to use it to cut grass and put a fel on it this spring. thanks, stu.

Congratulations! You just bought one of the most reliable small tractors on the planet. I bought my 4WD 770 new in 1997. I had the tires filled with chloride and bought front end weights, loader, brush cutter, sprayer, and landscape rake for it. I made a rear counter weight to use with the loader.

It has needed two new batteries, one new battery cable, and regular maintainance in the time since. It's almost as reliable as gravity. I didn't get the center PTO but the tractor will accept it.

With all the snow we've had this year I'm thinking of looking for a front mounted snow blower for it that would drive off the center PTO.

Fitch

/ john deere 770? #15  
I've got a Deere 770 with the problem that the bucket does not 'dump' (tip out). It seems to work ok for tilting upward, and raising and lowering the bucket operates; in other words, three of the four hydraulic functions work fine. This has occurred before, after trying to raise a log chained to the bucket. Initially (after lifting), the tilt response was slow, but it seems completely not there. The stick does not move in the direction needed. I checked for interference (debris), but couldn't find anything; thinking the problem is internal.

I don't have a schematic or service manual for this, however a farmer neighbor (who's since moved) fixed this the last time in a short time (when I was away at work), so I don't have a clue what he did.

Any info is welcome. I've been living without the bucket for a couple years, but have a project coming up where it is really needed, so time to fix. I'd rather not deal with the local JD shop, they don't have a good reputation for service since the 'old man' at the dealer retired.

/ john deere 770? #16  
:welcome: to TBN

One thing to do, is remove and re-connect the hyd hose couplings. Sometimes they don't get set right, and can cause your problem.
If that doesn't fix it, you may try connecting hoses to different ports to locate what is the problem.

/ john deere 770? #17  
I've got a Deere 770 with the problem that the bucket does not 'dump' (tip out). It seems to work ok for tilting upward, and raising and lowering the bucket operates; in other words, three of the four hydraulic functions work fine. This has occurred before, after trying to raise a log chained to the bucket. Initially (after lifting), the tilt response was slow, but it seems completely not there. The stick does not move in the direction needed. I checked for interference (debris), but couldn't find anything; thinking the problem is internal.

I don't have a schematic or service manual for this, however a farmer neighbor (who's since moved) fixed this the last time in a short time (when I was away at work), so I don't have a clue what he did.

Any info is welcome. I've been living without the bucket for a couple years, but have a project coming up where it is really needed, so time to fix. I'd rather not deal with the local JD shop, they don't have a good reputation for service since the 'old man' at the dealer retired.

On the panel below the seat, there's a lock for the loader control stick. That's used to lock out certain movement of the stick. Make sure nothing is locked.
Also, as beenthere, wrote...disconnect and reconnect your loader's hoses...one at a time...don't get them mixed up when reconnecting