john deere 820 shifting problems

/ john deere 820 shifting problems #11  
The screenshot doesn't mention cleaning the suction screen. That's normally done every other oil change.
I tend to disagree on that. I think it's more often done when hydraulic problems occur and nothing else seems to help.

/ john deere 820 shifting problems
Poor trans shifting & hyd's on a '73 JD 820 have no affect on each other. How many hrs of use since hyd filter was changed & hyd oil suction screen che3cked/cleaned?
i did it before i started haying probably 20 hrs on the filter and cleaned screen

/ john deere 820 shifting problems #13  
I tend to disagree on that. I think it's more often done when hydraulic problems occur and nothing else seems to help.
And I disagree. If we wait for symptoms before cleaning screens, the cavitation damage to the hydraulic pump rotor has already started. It's called micro-pitting and will wear the rotor out prematurely.

The jerking and jumping of the 3pt hitch are classic signs of suction oil starvation. First thing to do is check the oil, change the spin on filter, and clean the screen. 3pts operation is normally very smooth.

The pipe on top of the shifter sounds like a separate problem.

rScotty

/ john deere 820 shifting problems #14  
i did it before i started haying probably 20 hrs on the filter and cleaned screen
Good, But was it still shifting then? Something changed in the transmission when it stopped shifting. That pipe came from somewhere.... and that means particles. Maybe enough to clog the filters and maybe not...

/ john deere 820 shifting problems #15  
I was wondering if original poster could get a picture of the pipe found in shifter. Might help to identify it. If there is internal leakage due to misplaced or broken pipe, it would help explain the jerky hitch.

Last edited:
I was wondering if original poster could get a picture of the pipe found in shifter. Might help to identify it. If there is internal leakage due to misplaced or broken pipe, it would help explain the jerky hitch.
yes i will see if i can get one

Attachments

• 820 1.jpg
    820 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

Attachments

• 820 2.jpg
    820 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
sorry for late reply anybody know why I'm not getting emails that I have received answers?

/ john deere 820 shifting problems #20  
??? Don't understand the question. please elaborate.