john deere 850 4x4

/ john deere 850 4x4 #11  
The tractor is alittle hard to start when temps dip, but I always contributed that to being a diesel trait. The smoke is grey and starts up only after the tractor is warmed up.I dont notice any coolant missing and no sludge on dipstick/oil cover. I am preparing myself for a trip to the mechanic and see what is going on. What i find odd is the smoke coming out of the beather tube but you dont really notice anything as far as excessive smoke coming from the stack?
Thank you all for your advice and thoughts!
Randy

This tube is allowing exit for crankcase blow by only and not exhaust. This can happen with bad rings but I find it difficult to think that your rings are bad especially that you are not exhibiting excessive exhaust smoke. I'd find it easier to believe that the oil in your crankcase might be a lighter viscosity than needed for your tractor. I'd change the oil first if you have not already done so to a 15-40 wgt and see what happens. Someone could have put in 10-30 or even 5-30 automobile oil before you got it.

/ john deere 850 4x4
Arrow, thanks for the advice. I will change the oil and refill with heavier wt. Hope its as simple as this!!

Thanks all for the help!

Randy

/ john deere 850 4x4
Went to Tractor Supply today and bought 15/40 wt oil, drained old oil and refilled with new+oil filter. Ran it for about 10 minutes and no sign of breather smoke. This is really good news. Thanks agian Arrow and everyone else for your input. I plan on put it to the real test tomorrow (jan 1) and see if a extented warm up still shows no smoke. The tractor is really is in great shape and wanted to have for awhile.

have a great new year!
Randy