Price Check John Deere 855

/ John Deere 855 #11  
CADplans - the seat on my tractor has a small rip in pretty much the exact same spot as the one in the photo you posted...must be susceptible to a pliers or other tool carried on the belt?

The seat came that way,, I do not know how it happened,,,:confused:

/ John Deere 855 #12  
The 855 is still the cadillac of the old JD CUTs...:)

/ John Deere 855
Anybody have any knowledge about the front axles chewing up the differential gears? Is that common? Is it a result of abuse (overloading the axle or loader) or is it due to the way an owner operates the tractor?

/ John Deere 855 #14  
Anybody have any knowledge about the front axles chewing up the differential gears? Is that common? Is it a result of abuse (overloading the axle or loader) or is it due to the way an owner operates the tractor?

Not that I am aware of...The operator's manual states NOT to engage the MFWD when on hard surfaces...the other possibility is have the INCORRECT SIZED front tires relative to the rears...:(
2WD Standard tires (ag): Front: 4.00x15. Rear: 9.5x16
4WD Standard tires (ag): Front: 6-12. Rear: 9.5x16
Lawn/turf front: 23x8.50-12
Lawn/turf rear: 33x12.50-15

Operator abuse will break anything...:(

/ John Deere 855 #15  
Thanks, Lowell & CADplans. Counting down the days...I can see myself having some black dirt or rock delivered now that I have a way to move and spread it around!

CADplans - the seat on my tractor has a small rip in pretty much the exact same spot as the one in the photo you posted...must be susceptible to a pliers or other tool carried on the belt?

The replacement seat wasn't that bad a few years ago. $132 I think. Get the black! They sell it in black or yellow but the yellow mildews something terrible at my house.

/ John Deere 855 #16  
The 855 is still the cadillac of the old JD CUTs...:)

Our 855 is proving that they are tough tractors.
I gave the one I purchased to my daughter,, her husband never had driven a tractor before.
Well,, he found out how much fun the 855 is,, and he took over the job of mowing 3.5 acres.
One section is so rough,, he wears a mouth-guard to protect his teeth from the rough ride.
He likes to go fast.

The NEXT tractor they own,,, will be the one that THEY buy,,,:laughing:

/ John Deere 855
Tractor was delivered today! Was a busy day with non-tractor related activities so was only able to look at it parked in the shop. Sure looked good in there!

/ John Deere 855 #18  
Not that I am aware of...The operator's manual states NOT to engage the MFWD when on hard surfaces...the other possibility is have the INCORRECT SIZED front tires relative to the rears...:(
2WD Standard tires (ag): Front: 4.00x15. Rear: 9.5x16
4WD Standard tires (ag): Front: 6-12. Rear: 9.5x16
Lawn/turf front: 23x8.50-12
Lawn/turf rear: 33x12.50-15

Operator abuse will break anything...:(

Let me side track this for a moment, and hopefully offer some info for 855 owners. My son has one, and it's a good little tractor.

For those of you with an 855 and wanting to switch over the R4 tires, it seems there was no option from the factory. Correct me if I am wrong. If you have turfs, you can switch the fronts to the exact same size R4 because there is a 23x8.50-12 R4. For the rears, there is no 33" R4 tire for a 15" rim. But a 12x16.5 R4, which is a super common size, is 33" tall. And it isn't real hard to find a 10"ish wide 16.5" diameter rear rim that fits right on the JD hub. I had couple of Mahindra 16.5 rims that fit the Mitsu built Mahindra tractors. I painted them yellow, put on a set of 12x16.5 tires and he put the little R4s on the fronts and he was good to go.

Seems like guys are always wanting to switch tires and this gives an option that keeps the ratios correct and isn't terribly expensive. OK, back to the subject at hand, thanks for letting me divert.

To contribute to the thread, I will say that we have seen some of the little JD tractors break ring and pinions, but we have seen many more decades old that are in perfect working condition. Just consider the physics of what you are doing. Backing up a steep creek bank with a bucket full of gravel with your rear tires nearly in the air will break a ring and pinion. Putting your bucket under a stump and lifting until your back tires are loose and then pushing forward is another good way to break a R&P. The idea is that if you put a big load on the axle to the extent that the tires cannot spin, then either the HST bypasses, the engine dies, the stump moves or something breaks. Not many other outcomes. So while these 855 front axles may not be super robust, a careful operator will go a lifetime and not break one.

/ John Deere 855 #19  
To contribute to the thread, I will say that we have seen some of the little JD tractors break ring and pinions, but we have seen many more decades old that are in perfect working condition. Just consider the physics of what you are doing. Backing up a steep creek bank with a bucket full of gravel with your rear tires nearly in the air will break a ring and pinion. Putting your bucket under a stump and lifting until your back tires are loose and then pushing forward is another good way to break a R&P. The idea is that if you put a big load on the axle to the extent that the tires cannot spin, then either the HST bypasses, the engine dies, the stump moves or something breaks. Not many other outcomes. So while these 855 front axles may not be super robust, a careful operator will go a lifetime and not break one.

Thanks for the example. I have been telling guys here for a while that Front-Wheel-Assist (FWA) is not 4-wheel-drive. And that they should treat the front axle as a secondary helper, not a primary workhorse.

/ John Deere 855
I suppose I should add a couple photos to prove this transaction actually occurred. I've added one hour to clock moving some rocks and dirt as well as giving my little daughter a ride. This thing is the ideal size for my small property!

My wife seems to be pleased with it, too. Though I'm sure she's happy that I am happy.

Tractor.jpgTractor 2.jpg

P.S. That's my father-in-law in the background, and even he approves!