John Deere backhoe repair

/ John Deere backhoe repair #1  

tractortroof

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota b2650
F70663B7-354B-44A1-BEE9-9DDEE3C96839.jpeg
95D709BC-D5B1-452C-9EE7-DCB30A2A22F8.jpeg

1998 John Deere 310e. Someone welded this valve in the past and it’s leaking on the bottom. I wonder if it can be welded again? It costs like $3k I’m sure.

/ John Deere backhoe repair #3  
Its actualy prety difficult to get a weld to seal hydraulic pressure. But it's very cheap to remove, weld and re check many times.

I had a excavator cylinder that needed a hard line welded on. It took me about 8 trys to get my TIG welding to seal it properly. MIG welding was a total loss.

/ John Deere backhoe repair
I left it sit for a month and it doesn’t leak any where near as bad as it did before, probably due to heat and heavy use.

the mechanics I talk to say that the thing that was welded is a relief valve and o might not be such a brilliant idea to weld it again.

there are no new ones available and used start at $800-2000

/ John Deere backhoe repair #5  
I left it sit for a month and it doesn’t leak any where near as bad as it did before, probably due to heat and heavy use.

the mechanics I talk to say that the thing that was welded is a relief valve and o might not be such a brilliant idea to weld it again.

I feel your pain. My Hough Pay Loader has a little, brass, pneumatic plunger valve that kicks out 1" and holds the transmission in gear with air supplied by one of the two treadle brake pedals. When the treadle pedal is hit, the pedal bleeds air pressure to the valve, and a return spring in the valve pushes the piston back, knocking the transmission into neutral. Anyway, that part used in everything from Hough, International, Dresser, and Komatsu, but is now unatainium and mine leaks air.

I feel your pain. My Hough Pay Loader has a little, brass, pneumatic plunger valve that kicks out 1" and holds the transmission in gear with air supplied by one of the two treadle brake pedals. When the treadle pedal is hit, the pedal bleeds air pressure to the valve, and a return spring in the valve pushes the piston back, knocking the transmission into neutral. Anyway, that part used in everything from Hough, International, Dresser, and Komatsu, but is now unatainium and mine leaks air.
That’s a good phrase. Does that mean it’s made from Unatainium? I’m going to use that one

IMG_6482.JPG

Local machine shop I think tig welded. I came back to this post because I hoped I had pictures of the linkage on the left-thank God…I didn’t note one thing I took off, but it’s in the photo. Backhoe for sale when I get done with this

/ John Deere backhoe repair #8  
As much as I HATE drips, I have come to the conclusion as a pretty broke/not “financially viable” farmer, that a little drip in a casting can save a lot of money. lol
But you have to keep an eye on it that it doesn’t start gushing.
And that’s nerve racking.

Last edited:
   / John Deere backhoe repair #9  
I wouldn't be worried about that.

Among my background in all things mechanical in Army aviation (I was a 67Y30) we distinguished between a weep, a leak, and a drip. All three conditions where flyable but all three had Dash -- in the logbooks limiting the conditions. weeps and leaks normally got pushed out the phase maintenance and leaks got attended to unless the mission prohibited a long maintenance schedule.

My tractor and heavy equipment without exception all have leaks and drips and I don't care. I roll it into the cost of operating to pay for the hydraulic fluid. Considering the operating cost of diesel, my time operating the thing, and maintenance (along with my McGyver abilities to fix anything or to permanently ignore a problem until it MUST be attended to), drips are tolerable.

/ John Deere backhoe repair #10  

I know this is old and that you are selling now. Your statement of no new available. Was that through Deere? Lots of research and you could probably find new through the valves manufacture dealers. They would be able to assist in finding a possible replacement.