John Deere D140 won’t move

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #1  

ProudPapaX2

Tractor
John Deere D140
I was mowing with my D140 and on my way up the hill I got the deck stuck. I smelled burnt rubber and all the sudden it wouldn’t move. I assumed the belt slipped so I replaced it, however it still won’t move. It will move a little if I push it while my wife pushes the pedal, but then it stops moving again. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? Thanks

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #2  
Can you see the drive pulley on the transaxel to confirm that it is turning?

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #4  
Did the old belt tell a story? You have the belt on the inside of the rear belt guide?

/ John Deere D140 won’t move
Did the old belt tell a story? You have the belt on the inside of the rear belt guide?
I’m not sure what you’re talking about with that last question

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #6  
Meaning did visibly was there a sign of burning on the belt sides, or other signs that the belt was damaged.

/ John Deere D140 won’t move
The old belt doesn’t look to bad. I jacked up the rear end and even with the manual move rod pushed in the rear wheels turn, one forward and the other backwards. Does that mean anything one way or the other? Sorry I’m not very knowledgeable on riding mowers

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #8  
It is normal for rear tire to rotate opposite direction when they are off the ground.

Was there any unusual sounds when it stopped moving?

How far did you move the mower from where it stopped to where you replaced the belt?

Does it try to move in either direction?

Does that model have two idler pulleys that move when you press the clutch - brake pedal? If yes possibly double check the belt routing to confirm that it is routed properly and getting tight when clutch is released. This soeaking from experience in getting the belt on wrong but not wrong enough to smoke or squealing telling hey something is wrong…

Do you see any evidence of oil leaks anywhere on the transaxle?

Last edited:
   / John Deere D140 won’t move #9  
Sounds like the K46 trans is toast.

/ John Deere D140 won’t move #10