John Deere Dilemma

/ John Deere Dilemma #1  

mike223

Bronze Member
Hi guys,
I have sort of a dilemma. My 10 year old Scott's lawn tractor blew up a couple of months ago, before we moved to TN. I sold the carcass for $50, so I wouldn't have to move it. We now live on 3 ac in a rental house while our house on our 70 acres is being built. I want a decent lawn tractor that will last at least 10 years. I'm going to buy a 40-50 horse CUT later this summer, but I need a good lawn tractor now. I've decided on the John Deere, as it's got the best ratings on Consumer Reports, and from what I gather in posts on this website. The local JD dealer has a used GT235 for $3600. It's in great shape with only 65 hours on it. The other I was considering is the x304 with 42" cut, with a utility cart thrown in for $3400. The x304 has a 2 year warranty, while he GT235 has none. My dilemma is which to buy. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Mike

/ John Deere Dilemma #2  
If you can find a decent 455 you'll be waaaay ahead. The 23hp diesel sips fuel and if properly serviced it should last a lifetime.

/ John Deere Dilemma
I'd love to find one, but they're not common in this area. I only saw 3 in my area on machinefinder.com and they were $4500-6000, which is a little more than I want to spend.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Dilemma #4  
Mike,

I would be worth it to spend a little beyond your budget to get a 455. They are among the nicest and most capable JD garden tractors ever made. A very used one of those would outcut and outperform the others you mentioned--in reverse. It is true they are tough to find, as they last forever and do not get traded often. Your best bet is to lay groundwork at a local dealer and see if they would contact you if one comes in on trade for a newer X series machine. The X series two wheel drives are identical in many ways to the 455, but have slightly more horsepower and some creature comfort upgrades. Another option is to check in with local farm places and see who in the community might have one and see if that person would let you look at one in person. This is how I bought my first one. My friend, who is a dairy farmer, knew a neighbor who had a low hour 455. I went and looked at it. I told him I would be interested and in two weeks he called and said he would sell. I paid $5400, but this was four years ago and the machine had only 150 or so hours when purchased. Plus, the fun of hunting one is nice, too.

John M

/ John Deere Dilemma #5  
The GT235 and X304 on the basic scale are virtually one in the same designs, although the 235 might be more equal to today's X500 series. For your choice of A or B, being brand new with the warranty I'd buy the X304. But I do agree with the others finding a decent 455 would really be the way to go- the equal to todays X700's, superior tractors.

-Fordlords-

/ John Deere Dilemma #6  
If you are looking for a LAWN tractor just to cut grass you do not need a 455 especially if you are going to be getting a CUT. The X304 is a lawn tractor, The GT235 is a garden tractor either would serve you well for mowing. try them both out and get the one that fits you the best.

/ John Deere Dilemma #7  
I take it that once you move the riding lawn mower will be used for mowing around the new house (1-2 acres max) with the 40-50 HP unit for the fields?

If so - then either the GT235 or x304 would be a good match for what you are trying to do. However - with that said - I think the cub 25xx series would be a much better deal for the money. I have both a cub2544 and GT235 and use both of them weekly to mow about 1.5 to 2 acres each (different properties). Although the GT235 has better fit/finish - it is not worth the extra $1,000. The only thing I really like on the GT235 that I don't have on the cub is the ability to set the deck height once and not have to worry about resetting it each time I lower the mower deck. Other than that - I think the cub is a great machine.

My two cents.

Joe

/ John Deere Dilemma #8  
I would agree with the posts that the 455 might be overkill, but what is that??? If you can find, or think you can find, a 455 for only a few hundred or even a thousand or so dollars more, why wouldn't you. All shaft drive, diesel engine, hydro tranny and a beautiful cut are all reasons to see if one is available before buying something else. I am proof that one should buy a little more than he needs when buying. I did not and have spent more money upgrading to an appropriately sized machine for my changing needs since then. Now I am not saying get a 5225 JD to cut your lawn--although that sounds like a nice idea also--but a little more now if it is close in price can be a sound investment. If you are set on one of the machines you mention, I would go with the heavier duty one. I have never heard one complain that his machine is "too heavy duty".

John M

/ John Deere Dilemma
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Va Joe, you're correct that I will indeed be using the lawn tractor on the 1-2 ac near the house, and the CUT on the rest of the property. As for getting the 455, I would love to if I could find one for around $4500 within a 2-3 hour drive of my house. I don't want to go to Illinois or Wisconsin to get a GT. There's an add in todays paper for a JD 400 series GT. I called the guy, and he has a gas powered 400 series-that's what he called it, nothing more specific- that has 900 hours on it and is 3 years old. He's selling it for $3500. He's also down in Florence AL, which is about two hours south of here. I really would prefer a diesel if I'm going to step up in size. Anyone have any experience with the gas powered 400's?

Another question- what is the hour range which would be considered good? Also, which of the 400 series came with the diesels? Is the 445 a diesel? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter, I'm unfamiliar with all of the ins and outs of GT's.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Dilemma #10  
The 445 is a 22 horse liquid cooled Kawasaki motor, gas. The 455 is the diesel. Both are nice, nice tractors. The older 3 series are nice too, if you can find one with low hours, homeowner used. My neighbor has a 322 that is built nice and heavy, and I have a friend who has a 318 that is also solid. Happy hunting, I'm sure there's something out there you will like.