Buying Advice John Deere for auction

/ John Deere for auction #1  

zonta223

Platinum Member
Tractor
Foton FT404, International 444 with forklift, International B250, Kubota L2000DT, Truck converted to all terrain forklift and lots of other junk
Hi
There is a John Deere for auction in a week.
Here's the link to the auction........Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia
Have never owned and only seen a few John Deers tractors in this area they are not very common so can't get help locally.
There are a few photos shown so was hoping some of the members may be able to help me with some information.
Can anybody give me any idea of the model number of this tractor....2wd/4wd?
Hp size?
It states it has a "snapped main down chassis" which is what exactly? Would it be weldable.
Would it be suitable as a general farm tractor.
Customers are not allowed to view/inspect items until the day before the auction.
So if I decide to go and view it would be nice to have some idea of what I am looking at and any known problems to watch out for?

Bob

/ John Deere for auction #2  
At first I thought it looked like a 3x20 tractor and loader....or perhaps the forerunner to it. Likely so if its a 2005 model....as I think the 3x20 series started in 2006. Hard to see the model number on the hood with the loader in the way. Looking closer at the loader it appears to be a 400cx? series.

I'm nearly certain its 4WD and industrial tires....but they rears look pretty well shot. Maybe lots of loader use and high hours? It's got a 4in1 bucket on the front....nice.

Then I saw what looks to be like an oil slick under the tractor and some parts on the operators platform. So.....I suspect "snapped down main chassis" means "broken"?

Closer look at the pics.....shows a model number 4300 on the hood. Front and rear tires dont match?? Strange front tires.

Last edited:
   / John Deere for auction #3  
Looks like it's a 4320...second picture from the left shows the model number.
Deere specs it at 48 gross engine HP and 40 PTO HP. Deere only lists this as a MFWD (4WD) tractor...that may be different in the Australian market though. Looks like a straight 2WD front axle, but I can't really tell.

Under Damage Details, it states "Snapped Down Main Chassis". What does that mean? That would make me a bit nervous...

I think I'd walk away from this one...

/ John Deere for auction #4  
I see they recommend an on-site inspection. I surely would want to take advantage of that advice, were I interested in bidding.

Maybe some TBN'er would be willing to make a trip to South Australia for a look-see?

/ John Deere for auction
Thanks for all the information.........Sadly my boss has decided I HAVE to work the auction day :mad:

/ John Deere for auction #6  
Thanks for all the information.........Sadly my boss has decided I HAVE to work the auction day :mad:

I couldn't get the picture to load ... from what the others are saying perhaps your boss has your best interest at heart!!!

/ John Deere for auction #7  
This could be a good buy IF you are good at fixing stuff....AND you buy it at a price where you can afford to fix it....AND upon doing the repairs still have a good value. However, not knowing what is broken would be a big issue to me....but you'd have to assume a bad engine and/or tranny IMO.

IF you bid on it.....keep your bid at less than $3500?? and you would be at a reasonable salvage value....no? The loader and parts have got to have some value....but even salvage buyers know what they are bidding on.