John deere gator or kubota Rtv

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #11  
My RTV 1140 is as tough as they come. I suggest you focus on the following to see if one of the two is unacceptable:

ground clearance (think Kubota is lower)

height for getting into driver seat (think Kubota is easier)

turning radius (Kubota may be greater)

dump bed capability (think Kubota better)

towing ability (think Kubota greater)

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #12  
Kubota for sure! Good luck

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #13  
I looked at the JD's when i bought my RTV1100...The JD is a nice machine to be sure. I believe it is far better for mudding and stuff like that. It aslo seems to be a good work machine. However, the utilities/mills/construction companies around here almost exclusively use RTV900's and RTV1100's. Probably for the 'solid state' drive train and the overall work related build of the machine.

I did an online build of a diesel JD with most of the stuff an 1100 came with and ended up over the cost of the new 1100 that I ended up buying...Ergo my decision. Ended up with AC too...I really wish it had roll down windows. The slider thing is OK, but I'd prefer more than that.

I can do a U turn with my 1100 in my shop..I'm sure the 1140 takes a few more feet given it's overall length.

I have yet to stall or slow the hydo dump even at idle. It plows snow like a 1 ton dump. I pulled a tandem trailer with 60 industrial pallets on new years and it never complained..Probably 2-3 times it's stated tow capacity....I won't make a habit of that though.

RTV's are pure work machines and in that realm they excel. As far as off roading, you have to watch they soupy stuff due mainly to the serious weight of these things....As far as snow etc..Not a problem at all.

So far I love my 1100...It's probably overkill for some things but when I'm out plowing for 2 hours in 0 degree wind chills, I remember why I bought it....Besides I can take my daughter for cruises any time of the year and she can listen to the stereo in the process.

Last edited:
   / John deere gator or kubota Rtv #14  
You call the Kubota an industrial machine but what industry? Anytime I've seen a Kubota 1100 it was always owned/operated by a private individual that wanted a side by side for puttering around their land same as most Gators, Rangers, Rhinos..... I have seen several Gators used for plowing commercially and they hold up great.
Generally, I have seen the RTV900 much more than the 1100 on construction sites, interstate re-paving or replacement jobs, but I see RTVs frequently on larger projects. They get used for hauling tools, light towers, etc around.
Messicks recently took in 2 RTV 900s with 6000 hours on them: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/266019-rtv900-6000-hours.html
We recently got a RTV500 and test drove various machines before we settled on it including the Gator 625i. The power of the 625i was nice, but it rides as high as our Dodge 1500 4x4 (comparing cab floor and bed heights). That makes it more work to get in and out of the 625i than the RTV500. If you want to bomb around the trail, by all means, buy the Gator, but if you want to work a machine day in and day out without worrying about careless employees burning up your drive belts, get a RTV.
If you want to compare the weight of a non-cab machine, the RTV900 weighs between 1875 and 2006 pounds (depending on the options) and has a payload capacity between 1565 and 1697 pounds per http://www.kubota.com/product/rtv900xt/pdf/rtv900xt_spec.pdf .

Aaron Z

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #15  
Generally, I have seen the RTV900 much more than the 1100 on construction sites, interstate re-paving or replacement jobs, but I see RTVs frequently on larger projects. They get used for hauling tools, light towers, etc around.
Messicks recently took in 2 RTV 900s with 6000 hours on them: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/266019-rtv900-6000-hours.html
We recently got a RTV500 and test drove various machines before we settled on it including the Gator 625i. The power of the 625i was nice, but it rides as high as our Dodge 1500 4x4 (comparing cab floor and bed heights). That makes it more work to get in and out of the 625i than the RTV500. If you want to bomb around the trail, by all means, buy the Gator, but if you want to work a machine day in and day out without worrying about careless employees burning up your drive belts, get a RTV.
If you want to compare the weight of a non-cab machine, the RTV900 weighs between 1875 and 2006 pounds (depending on the options) and has a payload capacity between 1565 and 1697 pounds per http://www.kubota.com/product/rtv900xt/pdf/rtv900xt_spec.pdf .

Aaron Z

true about the 900's on construction sites...Many of the commercial contractors only allow climate control in the diggers....I can see why..Besides, they can save about 6 grand or so in going with the open cab and have less chance of blowing out glass etc. If I didn't use mine for plowing, I'd have a 900 open cab too.....I loved my RTV500 in the summer..Wish I still had it.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv
Thank you for all the input. With all that has been said I have some looking in to both still. But the weight of the Kubota it sounds like a very heavy for turf as all my work is going over lawns that have steep slopes and hills. With this much weight and mulch or rock sounds like it would rut or slip. I live in great smoke mountains of North Carolina. A mouth ago we used a JD gator 620i to do a mulch job it was a life saver. Did 20 yards in 5 hours if we did it by hand would have taken two days. Time and money. DIXIEDOG thanks for your in put did I see a video of your gator with a boss plow pushing snow on here some where? Did you have to beef up the frame any?

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #17  
Thank you for all the input. With all that has been said I have some looking in to both still. But the weight of the Kubota it sounds like a very heavy for turf as all my work is going over lawns that have steep slopes and hills. With this much weight and mulch or rock sounds like it would rut or slip. I live in great smoke mountains of North Carolina. A mouth ago we used a JD gator 620i to do a mulch job it was a life saver. Did 20 yards in 5 hours if we did it by hand would have taken two days. Time and money. DIXIEDOG thanks for your in put did I see a video of your gator with a boss plow pushing snow on here some where? Did you have to beef up the frame any?

Just FYI...I run my RTV1100 all over my lawn and it does no damage at all...The 900 is lighter...With worksite tires it would be the same as a SCUT with turf tires.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #18  
The Gator ain't light, cheap or weak. This thing is a crossover that will work hard, and than go have fun at over 40 mph, with a great suspension. The Kubota was all work and no play.

photo-11.jpg

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #19  
That is a cool looking cab on that JD. All that glass is nice to look out of but I bet it's hot in the sun. What is one of them doors to replace I wonder. The glass windshield on my rtv was not cheap. I would have to agree that the rtv is less fun but more work. I think they are both great machines, the person MUST drive BOTH to get the right one for themselves. They each have their own style to match the type of work and person. I'm a person that doesn't like to be closed in so I just have a top and windshield. I haul firewood, dirt, rocks, and manure so having the power dump is a must. I love the power steering too.

/ John deere gator or kubota Rtv #20  
If you are going to move anything heavy on a slope I recommend the the RTV, HST, it simply can't be beat.

HS