John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot?

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #41  
Well that is because the New Hollands only hold half as much fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding, but my 4310 came with a full tank.

Last spring when I bought my Deere Spin Steer I showed up at the dealer with my trailer and check book. They told me they would bring it out to the house after they gave it a one last once over and a good cleaning, even though it was new.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #42  
I'm sure there's really poor dealerships of every color with terrible service. I bought several new Ford cars and trucks from a local dealer and got great service until the place was sold and the new owners took over.

I would certainly think you could get a full tank of fuel after spending $10,000+ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #43  
As far as tractor dealers go, I bought my John Deere used from an out-of state dealer. I found the exact configuration I was looking for on machinefinder.com and negotiated a price I was happy with over the phone.

The sales guy agreed to stay late on a Saturday to meet us there around 2:00 because we couldn't make the drive before their normal closing time of Noon.

When I arrived, the tractor was even nicer than it had been in the photos. It was all shined up, some paint touch-up had been done, the tank was full, the mower blades had been sharpened, and it was parked out front waiting for us.

It took maybe an hour to inspect everything and take a little test drive. I found some wear in the front steering tie-rod that they hadn't told me about on the phone. I am sure it was not because they were trying to bamboozle me. He had already told me plenty about all the other character flaws and wear and tear on the well-used machine.

Because of the long distance, they wouldn't be able to fix it, so he offered to either a: go 50/50 on shipping me the required parts, or b: just take $100 off the price. I choose b, and the steering has been fine (a little loose, but OK) since.

Another half hour to go through all the paperwork and point out some things in the owner's manuals.

Just to be nice, the salesman gave us a couple of hats and the choice of one "toy" from the showroom - we picked out a mini wheelbarrow for my nephew and gave it to him for Christmas.

He then helped load everything up on my truck and trailer including lifting some heavy stuff up into the truck.

The final really nice thing he did for us was make a most excellent recommendation for a great steak place for dinner that night. By the time we pulled out of their lot, it was after 6:00 on a Saturday.

The trip could easily have been a monster waste of time had I arrived and not been happy with the tractor when I got there. But instead, I thought to myself during the drive home with my new toys in tow that it had been a most enjoyable trip and evening courtesy of the very nice salesman.

I can't say much about the rest of the dealership because I only ever met the one guy, but the one salesman made enough impression for me to recommend the dealer just because of him.

I give my full and enthusiastic recommendation for anybody in the central Illinios area to visit Holland's West and ask for Gregg Pearson.

- Rick

P.S. even though I am unlikely to visit them again, they sent me a Christmas card too.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #44  
the tank on every JD I ever bought was filled... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #45  
I'm sure it just depends on the individual dealer, but I bought two new Kubotas (in 1995 and 1999) and both were delivered clean as a pin with full fuel tanks.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #46  
LOL, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif PineRidge you are a funny guy.
Maybe I better think about New Holland on my next purchase. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #47  
I am sure you are doing what you are told to do,but that is pretty cheap on the dealers part.
Even if it does cost the dealer a few extra dollars and he is watching the numbers that close,I am sure he can hide the cost of the fuel in the bill of sale some how.

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #48  
I think with Home Depot, its more of a logistics issue. Where are they going to safely store the fuel? Its not like they have a service department or a bunch of demo machines or anything.

- Rick

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #49  
They have a rental department ....here anyhow and have fuel for that stuff.....it is cost savings at 1.65 +- per gl .....that is all. don't kid yourself

/ John Deere Home & Garden = Home Depot? #50  
Well, the dealer I work for is not a bad one or cheap. I feel I work for the best dealer in MN. We have a great sales staff and a very good service department. I could really don't care how much fuel the tractor has just as long as it has no physical blemishes on the paint or plastic. I don't know if we fill up the tractors and combines full with fuel but it was just that one time I put gas in the L100 we sold. I just want to say that my dealer is very good since people were saying how it varies from dealer to dealer about filling up fuel tanks.