john deere jd400

/ john deere jd400 #1  

jim jroftx

Tractor
john deere jd400 backhoe
hello im new here i have a john deere jd400 backhoe i need info. on the motor plate # m53tw serial# 173253T i need to know what motor and yr ... thanks guys i need a major motor rebuild kit. and can i get one that needs to be over bore

/ john deere jd400 #3  
Welcome to this forum
Is your tractors engine diesel or gasoline powered?

If diesel factory engine CID is 202 but can be increased to 219 cid with installation of correct pistons & liners. If you wanted to change engines a 276 cid engine will fit.

/ john deere jd400
Sorry, it is a diesel. if changed to a cid 219 I can use my old crank? I am going to have to have the crank turned ( if it is still usable) My machinist told me to get a rebuild kit that I can get different size bore because he dont know how much he will have to turn it. I have not a clue what i need or where to get it. This is all new to me.. I do know good help is hard to find in my part of the world. The machinist said he can get to my motor in 4 months so I have a little time to find everything I need to put my backhoe back to work. Tx Jim Thank you so much for any and all the help you have to share with me.

/ john deere jd400 #5  
You're welcome. Crankshaft & CID will have no affect on your engine. You will need to access a special tool to align timing gears when crankshaft is re-installed in block. Is your tractors engine block serial # below or above 104241?