John Deere or Kubota?

/ John Deere or Kubota? #1  

Surfer69

Tractor
John Deere X758
Hi, just joined and first post. I have a 25 acre property, some steep slopes and mostly forested.
I'm wanting to buy a new smallish tractor with 4 in 1 bucket to do the following:
Moving rocks and soil
Pulling cut down trees out for firewood and lifting them into stacks
Grading/maintaining gravel tracks and maintaining existing ones
No slashing required. I'm sure I'll find other stuff to do as well.

Here's where I'm at: I'm thinking either a JD 3038(36 HP), or a Kubota B2601(26HP) They are similarly priced, both 4x4, but the JD has a 10yr/1,000 hours warranty. The Kubota is 2yr/1,500 hrs. Lifting capacity on the JD is 615kg and 820kg on the Kubota. I'm having trouble deciding.

I'm curious about the lifting difference given the JD has more claimed HP? I'd actually like something a bit bigger, but these will fit in my current machine shed.
Any thoughts or suggestions please?
Thanks very much.

/ John Deere or Kubota? #2  
Try both models at dealers than go with your gut feeling.

/ John Deere or Kubota? #3  
Have the JD 3033r with the 3:1 bucket For a property and tasks similar to what you're thinking.

Very happy with it.

/ John Deere or Kubota? #4  
I have a 25 acre property, some steep slopes and mostly forested.

It this will be your first Three Point Hitch tractor l believe you will find both tractors dangerously unstable for the tractor applications you have specified.

Safety first.

/ John Deere or Kubota?
It this will be your first Three Point Hitch tractor l believe you will find both tractors dangerously unstable for the tractor applications you have specified.

Safety first.
Thanks for your reply. The steep slopes are only between the upper and lower parts of the property. I imagine that may be part of your concern?

/ John Deere or Kubota? #6  
Thanks for your reply. The steep slopes are only between the upper and lower parts of the property. I imagine that may be part of your concern?
My concern is for your life. Most novice operators of loader equipped Three Point Hitch tractors are surprised a how unstable they are are on both flat and sloping ground. Tractor rollovers with novice operators are common.

Additional tractor width and additional tractor weight add stability.

If you are new to Three Point Hitch tractors I recommend a tractor of at least 3,700 pounds bare tractor weight and a width of at least 66". A good Kubota choice would be one of the MX series, which has adjustable rear wheel (width) stance built in.

You cannot enjoy your tractor if you are dead.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR

Last edited:
   / John Deere or Kubota? #7  
Jeff is right about the slope stability. And also that larger heavier tractors are more stable.

Along with that, I'll add that you may be looking at too small of a tractor for what you want to do. Tractors of any size can do so much that it is real common to buy too small and end up trading for a larger machine. In the tractor world, more HP means larger everything and includes more stability. Being able to adjust the wheelbase width is a plus. I think you should be looking buy in the 45 to 60 hp range. You don't need the extra HP, but the size is a big plus.

I realize that isn't what you want to hear, but one thing I do agree with is sticking with the JD or Kubota. We own a couple of each. For a newbie I'd go either way and lean to Kubota - mainly because I think they have a better selection & price in that 45 to 60 hp size basic tractor.
Luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / John Deere or Kubota? #8  
More details are needed for good advice.
Once again no location or tree specifics given.
What size are your "trees"?
Are they 100' tall Douglass fir or 20' tall white pine?
What is your labor situation and how quickly do you want to do it?
If your young and fit it makes a big difference compared to old and slightly worn out.

You COULD probably do it with the tractors you mentioned. BUT it will be slow and perhaps piecemeal.

I started out with a "training tractor", my Kubota B7610, w/ backhoe, trailer etc. Knowing full well I was going to need a larger tractor. Way to small for moving 20"+ DBH deciduous trees routinely. But fine for 20' Pine.
I soon acquired my M4700, a 50HP tractor.

Fitting your tractor to your machine shed can be a false economy if it's a small machine shed. It will severely limit your capability. If you have the space on your 25 acres a $2,000 (or less) carport would be a good addition to start out with a larger more capable tractor.

If your investing $25K in a tractor a $2K carport, which could later be finished into a shed would be a good accessory.

More data needed.

Last edited:
   / John Deere or Kubota? #9  
I think you’re off on your specs. I see the Kubota at 298kg at full lift height and the JD at 383 kg. I’m looking at a website called “Tractor Data“ to get those specs.

Kubota vs JD. I have owned both and currently own a JD 2025r. Both have an extensive dealer network and make quality machines.

As far as the machines you are looking at they are in a different class, the JD being a bigger machine and weighing about 1000 pounds more. The JD is also an E series which is considered an economy model. It’s still a capable tractor but the end loader doesn’t remove as easily and they usually don’t have a mid pto.

/ John Deere or Kubota? #10  
All good above ^

My advice is to buy the biggest 4WD tractor you can afford. IMO, the models you are looking at are too small for the work you plan to do.

If these are the only tractors you can afford now, take it SLOW and learn as you go. Take care of the machine to preserve it's trade in value because you will most certainly want a bigger tractor in the future.

You can't go wrong with either Kubota or JD, but also consider the dealer. Which is closer, which is larger, and which has the best parts / repair facilities. The friendliness and knowledge of the people you deal with are also factors.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice!