John Deere or Snapper

/ John Deere or Snapper #11  
My take on the differences between the LT2044 and JD LA 165 is that the JD is a superior machine for less money. I also believe that I should not give this opinion without specific details of comparison, so here are some specifics:

1. JD has a 12 gage deck. The Snapper site states that the mower frame is 12 gage, but fails to mention what gage the mower deck is.

2. The JD has a 24 hp engine where the Snapper has only a 20 hp engine.

3. The JD has a 16 amp alternator where the Snapper has a 9 amp.

4. The JD has 13 cutting heights where the Snapper has 7.

5. The JD's blade spindles are greasable with zerks on top of the deck so the deck does not have to be removed to grease the spindles. The Snapper's grease zerks on the bottom of the deck and require removal for lube service.

6. The JD is about $200 less than the Snapper and can be purchased at the JD dealer where warranty registration is automatic or at a box store where you will have to fill out the warranty. After purchase, you may buy maintenance supplies at any convenient box store that carries JD supplies. You do not have to go back to the JD dealer for anything except warranty service if that is your choice; however, you can order parts online and have them delivered to your JD dealer's parts counter. You may be able to do all this with a Snapper, but I don't know that for a fact.

That's about 6 issues that may be major or minor, but they are differences to consider and not some generalization that arbitrarily compares mowers to other products without any specifics. There is too much speculation about what mowers compare to what without details. I believe that's not the best approach no matter what color machine you are in favor of. The best method to compare is to read and become familiar with all details of all mowers and then make your best deal for yourself. There are many quality mowers and lawn tractors out there. You just have to know the facts and make your own decisions. Good luck.:)

Jim, FYI -- on the Simplicity-built machines -- they have sealed bearings in the arbors. You only grease them to coat the inside of the arbor to prevent moisture buildup and rust. You don't actually grease the bearings, so there's no need to do other than when you sharpen the blades. Typical bearing life for these sealed bearings in the decks is about 10-12 years.

Personally, I think you're caught up in the fascination of green paint, which is surprising. Each one will have features that are better than the other.

I agree with those who point out that this 200 series of Snapper mowers is comparable to the old JD 200-series, no longer made, and is a level above the JD 100-series made for the box stores to sell.

/ John Deere or Snapper #12  
Congrats on the new X540. Those liquid cooled Kawasakis are sweet running engines. So quiet...Dad has 1 on his 345. He didn't want the "complexity" of liquid cooling on a lawn mower--it was just another system to fail. As soon as he drove it around the dealers lot he decided he didn't want another noisy air cooled mower. Enjoy that 540, they're great mowers.

I just delivery of my new JD X540 today. Wonder which side I come down on?